My First Project

I have started a project and i think this might be a good way to start before I start building. About 15 years ago my apartment burned down with all my guitars in it. They were all on stands so when the second floor fell thru there went the necks. Well my ibanez iceman I had laying around for a couple of months and I decided to do something with it, I mean it was already trashed so what the heck. I had no experience with this kind of stuff cause I was just a guitar player. The neck was broken at the 1st fret but the fretboard was fine just the neck was bent back, so I drilled some holes and glued it back with some dowel rods. the binding was pretty much all burned so I just took it all off. well heres is the big bonehead idea, I decided to put a tremolo in it. I used some pretty crude hand tools and started cutting away. Then I painted, again with no experience and the paint was real thick including the neck, I know I know....IDIOT!!!!!! Oh yeah and I just painted over the empty binding grooves. So the thing was FUGLY and unplayable.

Before the fire

icemanbeforeix3.jpg

After I tarded it up

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9776/icemanafter2vq2.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3735/icemanafter1it1.jpg

Anyway, I decided to make this my first project. I am going to try and fill the trem hole back in and make this thing playable again. I am toying with the idea of a string through. I spent most of the day today sanding it down to bare wood. It looks like a mahogony back with a maple top possiblely, too bad I cut that hole in it cause with a different peice of wood there I will have too use a solid finish. So Iwould really appreciate any words of wisedom and tips.

Back then I didnt know what I had, I bought it in a pawn shop for $150, now I have found out that it is a 1978 but not sure of the model number but because of the finsh I think it is an IC400 from some of the research I did but still not sure.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 4 at that time The Iceman, an ESP MII, a Gibson Les Paul and a Takamine electric acoustic. Funny thing is the aucoustic was the only one that was still playable. Well maybe the Les Paul because it was never found, but the case was found and they were all in a line together. I think someone pilfered it. Anyway 15 years later and I have 13.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it all sanded down and the body trem hole all filled back in and Sunday I ordered all the binding stuff from Stew Mac and it arrived today, wasnt expecting it this soon, those guys are fast. So I can start doing the binding laminates ( I got the Stew Mac binding laminator)

I got the 6 layers of binding for the first channel laminated and shaped with a hair dryer and taped in place. A couple of spots are little warped but I think I can live with it for my first binding job, I am learning and if its too bad I can always redo it since I know what I did wrong. I laminated all 6 pieces at the same time and I think I should have done like 2 at a time and then went back and laminated all those laminates together. It makes you really appreciate the work that goes into those handmade guitars and understand why they get such a high price for them.

Dude, go around the binding and test it every half inch for movement. If it does, wick in some thin CA to hold it (I use coarse sandpaper to stop it sticking to fingers). If you need to fill any voids, melt some scrap binding with acetone in a jar until it's peanut butter thick and fill the voids with that. When the solvent evaporates you can scrape it flush. All worth it to move that bit closer to perfect :-D Careful you don't damage your binding layers however!

Please post pics....I love Icemans/men (?)

ater the acetone and glue the binding looked really bad, but after scaping it down flush,WOW. Its not perfect, the lower horn has some issues but I am going to try to fix that. I still need to sand it this is just after scraping it.

After I finish the bodyn binding then I will tackle the neck and headstock binding.

iceman3002fo7.jpg

Good move. Considering the slender length of an Iceman as well, that extra length will suit it nicely.

I would however be concerned about the sharper break angle from the body to the ferrule because of the added distance. It may be an idea to cut a smooth transition groove in the ferrule's lip to provide a smoother break over the edge of the ferrule. It's unlikely it would be a problem in the first place but this would be the only negative knock-on effect of moving the ferrules, and breaking your wound strings when bending (or going gradually flat as they unravel) is annoying to say the least.

Got all the binding done, body, neck and headstock. The neck took some time because it was done with the little nibs over the ends of the frets, so I had to file and shape each one. I strung it all up to fit the new nut, so you can see what the ferrules look like now. And Prostheta you were right about that string angle at the ferrules, they are pretty sharp, almost scary sharp. Now I need to start sanding it down and get all cleaned up ready to start finishing it.

iceman3004qk1.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2156/iceman3005tp7.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1472/iceman3006kv1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

An update on this, After stringing it up I noticed the neck is jacked up(not level). So I have been thinking about what to do for a while now. I have decided to take the fretboard off and try to sand the neck level and maybe just put a new fretboard on it. The frets are old and worn anyways so that will give me some new things to learn.

An update on this, After stringing it up I noticed the neck is jacked up(not level). So I have been thinking about what to do for a while now. I have decided to take the fretboard off and try to sand the neck level and maybe just put a new fretboard on it. The frets are old and worn anyways so that will give me some new things to learn.

is it the neck, the fretboard or the frets that arn't level? it might be easier just to de-fret the neck and re-radius the fretboard if its the fretboad that's causing the problem. or just re-freting it if its the frets that are worn.

Well from my attempt at gluing the break years ago it seems to be slightly twisted at that point. So I am goint to try and level the neck and see if that works, plus since this is a project guitar that was already ruined it is a good place to experiment and learn on. I think I might even try my hand at inlaying the new fretboard.