Custom Explorer Project

Hey, good to see that you are still working with this. I'm nearing completion on my own Explorer too, in the painting process at the moment, harder than I thought, but I think that I'm getting there eventually.

Personally I don't like ferrules that much, I like the TOM setup, but going for it I would agree with Xanthus, make them flow with the back, I think that would be the best option...

cheers!!!

Of course, if you go with them straight, you'll get an even feel over all of the strings, more like a TOM/tail setup. I feel that my lower strings are too floppy because the break angle over the bridge is so small. I'm going to rectify it with the V build by using a tailpiece.

Does it really affect the "floppyness" in the strings? On most Vs out there with ferrules, the strings are in a V shape, a lot further out than on your build.

Edited by guitar2005

Of course, if you go with them straight, you'll get an even feel over all of the strings, more like a TOM/tail setup. I feel that my lower strings are too floppy because the break angle over the bridge is so small. I'm going to rectify it with the V build by using a tailpiece.

Does it really affect the "floppyness" in the strings? On most Vs out there with ferrules, the strings are in a V shape, a lot further out than on your build.

I think it does. I dunno, it's up for constant debate, honestly. I think/feel the strings are floppier because you have so much "dead" string behind the bridge. It goes out a good 2 inches to the ferrules then down the body another 1 3/4. So you're looking at 4 or so inches of unused string that is going to stretch when you bend the strings.

Of course, it's all about preference, really. If you've played stringthroughs and like how they feel under your fingers, go for it :D

I think it does. I dunno, it's up for constant debate, honestly. I think/feel the strings are floppier because you have so much "dead" string behind the bridge. It goes out a good 2 inches to the ferrules then down the body another 1 3/4. So you're looking at 4 or so inches of unused string that is going to stretch when you bend the strings.

Of course, it's all about preference, really. If you've played stringthroughs and like how they feel under your fingers, go for it :D

I play a Godin LGX with string through ferrules and never noticed a difference in string tension/feel compared to the strat (25.5" scale)

On the finish front, my "customer" has this last minute idea for his guitar. He wants black translucent flames on his Korina top. I'm all for it but I don't know if it will look good. It will also add cost and delays to the project. What do you guys think? Good idea? Has anyone ever seen examples of such a finish on an explorer?

Someone on the forums did a maple-topped V with American flag flames a while ago, if I'm not mistaken. The body is pretty light-colored, so the black will work, but I don't know if the process/effect will be adversely affected because the body isn't completely "defect" free.

Would you be doing the sides and back stained too? I don't know if flames just on the front would look too out of place.

Would you be doing the sides and back stained too? I don't know if flames just on the front would look too out of place.

I agree with the flames just in the front - and that's pretty much what I told him. We're back to plan "A". LOL!

It would be a pity to see such nice wood having to compete with flames.

• 3 weeks later...

Finishing update.

I'm done with the sealer coats (zinnser sanding sealer). I applied 3 coats and levelled them down. Sanded through in a couple of spots. Today, I applied 3 coats of Behlen's Lacquer. I'm going though the stuff faster than I thought. Its my first time spraying lacquer with my compressor. I'm used to Aerosol cans (Deft). Its really nerve wrecking. I'm getting the hang of it though.

In the back, I've got a lot of orange peel, partly because I couldn't see what I was doing because I only had lighting for the front of the guitars. Tomorrow, I'll be levelling down what I have so far and continue with what I have left in lacquer (2 coats max). I'll be making dead sure that I have proper lighting for the back this time :D

Here's what they look like

295140111.jpg

Closeup of the neck join

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL912/43163...0/295140117.jpg

• 1 month later...

A couple of new pics and an Evil Twin #2 is assembled

304901121.jpg

The fretboard is dirty from fret levelling. I've had trouble with the fret levelling with this one because my home made fret rocker wasn't straight anymore. :D I just didn't trust the old 24" straightedge and feeler gauge method and had to try something new.

I levelled more than I would have really needed to. Lesson learned. I just ordered a fret rocker from Stew Mac. What a ripoff at 25.00 bucks but really, worth every penny 'cos I know it'll be a good reference and will help for spot levelling on setup jobs.

Here are two closeups from before I sprayed the twins.

Headstock - Real proud of how this came out:

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL912/43163...0/291575988.jpg

Fretboard - love this one:

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL912/43163...0/291575992.jpg

Edited by guitar2005

Looks great! How did you do that thin strip along the fingerboard? It doesn't look like separate binding, just enough accent to add some flair. Have fun playing that! :D

Looks great! How did you do that thin strip along the fingerboard? It doesn't look like separate binding, just enough accent to add some flair. Have fun playing that! :D

That's 1/8" wide binding with maple veneer glued to it, then glued that to the fretboard. You can tell its binding because the fret ends don't show on the side of the fretboard.

Got the idea from rsguitars, in this thread:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...25186&st=15

Edited by guitar2005

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the two guitars and took pictures of 2nd Evil Twin.

The Photo Album is here:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p...amp;uid=4316378

Full Front:

308313245.jpg

The neck is superb. My best work yet. I can set the action down to 1/32" with minor buzzing. 3/32" action, the way I like it, is killer. Love the way the guitar feels too. It has a nice resonance to it. Real happy with this one.

Honduran Mahogany (Ribbon) Body

Black Limba Top with worm holes

Scarfed Mahogany Headstock with Black Limba overlay

Set Neck Construction

Maple Neck with Jatoba laminate

Cocobolo Fretboard, bound with thin maple strip and Cocobolo

Pearl Side Dots

Pearl 12th Fret Inlay

Inlayed Bone Nut

Steinberger Gearless Tuners

Gotoh TOM Bridge

Through the body string ferrules

Fender Style Jack

Gold Toggle Switch

Gibson Explorer Pickups

Thin Nitro Finish - Not grain filled so the grain is apparent

Edited by guitar2005

This is looking real sweet man!!!!!!

I gotta build myself a couple more... :D

The Limba looks awesome, I'm kinda envious on this one.

I never liked wood colored guitars, but after frequenting this forum

for a couple of years or so now, I'm leaning more and more towards

building a couple myself.. :D

Kudos on this one, congrats!!!!