What Kind Of Wood Is This?

I think I may be able to start my first real project soon and have been giving a lot of thought on what to build. One of the choices I might do is a natural bass like this one by Carvin. I would use a maple fingerboard like this and I want the body to look like this picture. But I can't find on this link where it says what kind of wood it is. It looks to me like ash or maybe maple, but I'm no expert. Can anybody tell me what kind of wood this body is made out of?

Wrong Desopolis and prs man. A quick look at the LB75 bass under the custom page shows that the standard body wood is alder. Granted, with extra costs you can get different body woods. Other than alder, the only wood it could be is swamp ash, and that bass body does not have the open grain that swamp ash is known for.

look to the left of the picture:

this guitar comes with the following options:

Guitars

BC - Black Chrome Plated Hardware

CS - Clear Matte Satin finish

HB2 - J99 neck pickup with HB series bridge humbucker and coil splitter

MF - Maple fingerboard with black dot inlays

RB - Rounded Body Sides

TC - Clear Gloss finish on hard Maple

All instruments are sold as shown.

No additional options may be added.

I think that option is in reference to the neck. For one, if you look at the picture, it has a matte finish, no a gloss finish. Also, there is absolutely no mention of a maple body (other than a figured maple top) when you go you customize the bass, rather than buying a ready-to-order bass.

Standard Features

construction/scale | neck-through, 34" scale

body | alder

neck | asymmetrical maple neck-through

neck width | 1.75" wide @ nut, 3.00" wide @ 24th fret

fingerboard | ebony - 14" radius

inlays | standard dot

hardware | Chrome

bridge | Hipshot™ with strings fed through body

frets | 24 medium jumbo .103" wide X .048" tall

pickups | 2 H50S Stacked Humbucker

electronics |Active/passive electronics w/ master volume, pickup blend, active bass, mid, treble

tuners |Carvin premium 20:1 ratio

standard colors |black, white, red, pearl white, pearl red, pearl blue, tung oil, clear gloss

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=LB75

Probably the best way to find out for sure is to email Carvin.

Can anybody tell me what kind of wood this body is made out of?

Thats Alder! Im working with alder alot now Im and SURE thats what that is

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

after reading both ads id say prs man is correct

if you read the desciption in order after rounded body edges (included not an option like other models)

it says clear gloss finnish on MAPLE (why would they put that after the rounded body edges)

it is also less money and differant body than the standard LB75

also no where in the standard LB75 options does it list maple for a body just in the finnishes

TC = clear gloss on hard maple

there seems to be one typo though in that at the top description it says its an LB75

and the Bunny Brunel is model is a BB75

hope that clears the air a little

I also think that if its that imporant to ya just email them, but if your building this guitar your going to get the look you want with Alder or maple, so you should just pic one :D

Thats Alder! Im working with alder alot now Im and SURE thats what that is

Really? I thought that alder was darker than that.

the carvin bass wood is maple . maple body and maple neck fret board.

That's what I thought the link said, but I wasn't sure.....

I also think that if its that imporant to ya just email them, but if your building this guitar your going to get the look you want with Alder or maple, so you should just pic one

Hmmm...it's not that important for me to use the exact same wood they did.....I just want a very light colored wood to match the maple fingerboard. I like the look of ash, but I don't know if that would be the easiest wood to use for my first build. And I wasn't too sure about alder since I thought it was darker. Maple is light colored, and it would be easy to finish I think. So are you telling me that maple or alder would both work well with a clear finish? Sorry if all that sounds confusing. And thanks for all the replies guys. :D

the swamp ash Im using is almost white, and is VERY easy to work with..

the mahogony,Zebra, and maple Im using was much more of a pain.

Really? I thought ash was one of the harder woods. Also, I was referring to finishing the wood. Alder and maple are close grained, but ash would need grain filler and extra steps, wouldn't it? I'm worried that would be too complicated for me. Do you think ash would be a good choice? I really do like the way it looks. Here is another ESP bass that is similar to what I like, and it is made from ash.

Really? I thought that alder was darker than that.

No not really it goes from a very soft tan to a dark tan

this is an alder body im working on

New-11.jpg

the swamp ash Im using is almost white, and is VERY easy to work with..

the mahogony,Zebra, and maple Im using was much more of a pain.

Really? I thought ash was one of the harder woods. Also, I was referring to finishing the wood. Alder and maple are close grained, but ash would need grain filler and extra steps, wouldn't it? I'm worried that would be too complicated for me. Do you think ash would be a good choice? I really do like the way it looks. Here is another ESP bass that is similar to what I like, and it is made from ash.

Swamp ash is a light weight wood, it is very easy to cut. I'm not sure what the other Ash's are called, but I'm thinking one is from northern US / Canada which is very dense, and a European one that is also dense. I have worked with both light and dense types of Ash, it is often a very white or white / tan wood. Yes, Ash is very open grained, even the dense stuff. It would definitely require a grain filler. It's not very complicated to fill and level, so don't be worried about that. Ash would be a great choice for a guitar type instrument. All the Ash I've come across has sweet grain.

Hardashblanks.jpg

Thanks for all the replies everyone. If I do decide to build this bass, then I will most likely use ash. And Metal Matt, I agree that alder is cool, but it just isn't quite what I'd like for a natural finish.

.....And like I said, this bass is only one of the choices I'm thinking about building. I may decide to do something else. I haven't even started building, and I'm already addicted. :D There are about 10 different things I'd like to build, I just have to narrow down the choices. Thanks again guys!

So are you telling me that maple or alder would both work well with a clear finish?

Some Alder has a pinkish cast, but if you select well, Alder and any species of Maple (at least the sapwood) will be a light blond. The annular rings in Maple are a bit more distinct than Alder.

An Alder body will be a lot lighter in weight than Hard (Rock, Sugar) Maple, but just a little lighter than most Soft Maples. Hard maple is a lot harder to sand than Alder. Hard Maple has a higher surface sheen than Alder. That is, if you take a piece of each and sand them to 600, the Hard Maple will look like gloss, and the Alder will look more satin. That will also be true if you apply a gloss finish - the Maple (especially Hard Maple) will glow more.

I've never built an electric, but I did a little work for a luthier that included refinishing bodies. Alder bodies were common - I never saw one that was solid Hard Maple.

HTH,

Dennis

p.s. Here's some info if you want to compare properties: Tech Sheets North American Hardwoods