Looking To Start Building Some Guitars! My First Few...

First off... Hello to everyone here at PG, this is my first post. B)

Well, just as others have done... I have been reading the threads here for a very long time. Hoping to learn enough to give me the confidence to attempt building my own personal guitars. I'ld have to say that I have learned SO MUCH from you all... thank you!(I also realize I have a lot more to learn too)

Over the last 2-3 years I have purchased some wood pieces that I thought would make cool guitars. So here are my ideas. I am building 3 LP's(using Stew-Mac's plans) and a King V/SG cross that I envisioned about 15 years ago(kind of like Paul Stanley's Appocolypse(funny :D story about that but that is for another time).

OK...

GUITAR #1 LP

Blue Quilted Maple Carved Top

Claro Walnut body and neck(all cut from same slab)

No finalized fingerboard yet(I have a few but will wait till further along to make a set choice)

Here's the link to my progress on it so far...

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o103/cp...%20Walnut%20LP/

GUITAR #2 LP

Tiger Eye Quilted Maple Carved Top

African Mahogany core

Curly Maple Back and neck

No finalized fingerboard yet(I have a few but will wait till further along to make a set choice)

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o103/cp...d%20Maple%20LP/

GUITAR #3 LP

Flamed Claro Walnut Carved Top

Genuine Mahogany Body and neck

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o103/cp...0Mahogany%20LP/

GUITAR #4 King V/SG(I call it... The Guillotine!!! Mu ha ha ha(that's for you Metal Matt))

Honduran Mahogany body and neck(possibly a Curly Maple neck)

24 Fret, 25.5 Scale,

Fingerboard: Narra backed by Hard Maple

One Vol, One Tone and 3 way switch

Black Hardware, Locking tuners

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o103/cp...ima/Guillotine/

I am just trying to utilize my time an do similar tasks at the same time for all these guitar.

Let me know what you guys think... and again... Thanks for all the help! :D

Edited by cpsmaxima

It's looking good but I do have one concern, I'd build one guitar completely than move onto the next. Don't try to build them all at once, you will make the same mistake 4 times. As you build more and more you will get faster, more precise, and have good jigs/methods worked up. After you build your first guitar you will think it's great. After you build your second guitar you will think your first was crap but you will nail this one. By the time you build your third you should pretty much have all the kinks worked out and come out with a really nice instrement. I would save all your nicest pieces of wood for at least your third guitar.

Wow! You've been a member for almost two years before your first post! Your projects look nice so far, hopefully they will all turn out as good as you hope. I'm not a big fan of the guillotine shape, but I do give you credit for originality. Keep us up to date with your progress. :D

im with godin on his point about filling your plate; on the other hand, its always cheaper to make more than one a time, but if you make the same mistake 4 times, ya its not cheaper;

i would suggest doing all the cutting/gluing at the same time; then go to work on them one at a time (basically) get one all the way to the spray(finishing) stage; then catch up with the next one; and so on; then after theyre all sprayed assemble one at a time; best bet

Thanks for the responses everyone... keep em comin'.

Travismoore- I'm up to it! I think? :D

Nitefly- Don't ya just love that Home Depot kitchen flooring? :D

Verhoevenc- Thanks. I like that top for those exact same reasons.

Godin SA- I know what you mean. I work on them from "worst to best" so to speak. If I feel unsure about something I will do a practice run first. For example... I bought a mahogany neck blank(big enough for 2 necks). Somehow it got damaged(cracked due to some kind of impact) so I decided to make a practice run on the bad neck blank. It was a great learning experience(and a lot of fun too). I feel ready to take on the real ones now.

Shredgtrfan- Thanks for your thoughts. I will keep everyone up to date as I build. As soon as a task is completed I post the pics in my photobucket account. right now I am in the process of joining all the neck pieces, tops and backs(as seen in the pics in the links).

Low end fuzz- I think it's just easier to work the same part for each of the guitars, one after another. I finish the first one, look it over think if there is anything else that I need or missed. This way it is fresh in my head and easier to remember. Ultimately I will mix a little of my thinking with some of yours and Godin SA's.

Again thanks for all the input! B)

Edited by cpsmaxima

I know I am a little ahead of myself here, but... I am thinking about binding the LP guitar bodies with some flamed maple bindings(not stained for contrast). Because I've never really liked the plastic binding look. So I have a few questions...

1) How hard is it to bend figured maple bindings around that small horn area(from a noob perspective)?

and

2) How do you guys recommend doing this? I'm sure someone has done this before? Pics?

I have seen 2 methods so far. The torch(and pipe) or the Bending Iron. I'm leaning towards the Iron as the idea of a torch scares the hell out of me :D . Is there any other ways? Easier?

Oh... keep in mind. I don't have a shop. I do all my work on my condo balcony. :D

Thanks in advance

Chris

Edited by cpsmaxima

1) How hard is it to bend figured maple bindings around that small horn area(from a noob perspective)?

2) How do you guys recommend doing this? I'm sure someone has done this before? Pics?

Chris

1) In all likeliness, very hard. The thicker wood is, the harder it is to bend. I imagine you'll be getting stewmac's binding or someting simular which is what, .08" thick? On top of this, it will be figured. Figured wood likes to crack at the figuring when you bend it. Now, it definitely can be bent to the dia. of an lp horn, because I've done it before, but you'll have to be very carefull about it. Soak the binding in a bathtub for a while(definitely don't do this if it's the variety of binding that already has purfling attached) or wipe it down with a wet paper towel. You'll probably want to get two thin pieces of sheet metal to put on either side of it as you bend it. This will help prevent it from slitting or cracking. Before putting it in the sheet metal sandwich, wrap it the part you're bending with a bit of tin foil and tape the eges. This will lock the water/steam in so that the wood doesn't dry out as you bend it. Also, make sure whatever you use to bend it is nice and hot, between about 250 and 300 degree F.

2)It can be done equally well with an actual bending iron or a homemade setup if you do it propperly. If you use a pipe and torch/heat gun/heat lamp, just make sure that you're getting the pipe to a suitable temperature and that you're heating it evenly.

peace,

russ

Thanks Thegarehanman...

So...

1) Do you keep the heat on that one spot as you bend it? Or do you kind of massage the spot(heating a wider 5"-8" long section) back and forth while bending it? Also, I would imagine that you bend it quite slowly. Is this correct?

2) Do you attempt to bend the curve all at once or do you make the tight curve over a fewer progressively tighter bending sessions?

I think I am going to go with the iron. Any idea as to the best place for them? I've seen them on the bay but they looked a little cheesey(not sure how reliable either) and Stu's(looks good) but seems a little pricey...

Chris

You can focus on just the area where you actually want the bend, just keep an eye on the wood so it doesn't dry out and start burning...hence the tin foil. Yes, bend slowly. If you work too quickly, you'll crack the binding, obviously. The only reason I would have for multiple sessions would be to add water.

As for where to get one, I can't help you because I don't own an actual bending iron. Although, plenty of people have made ones that allegidly work from aluminum and/or copper tubing and heat lamps.

Just wait until it's fairly dry. Although don't worry about letting it get too dry, you'll be getting it wet with the wood glue, afterall. I don't know if you've heard this already, but consider using masking tape to hold the binding in place as the wood glue dries. It's like a roll of clamps.

edit: Oh, and since you're planning on dying those maple tops, you may want to seal your binding channels before gluing the binding in. This is more important if you're using a CA based binding glue than if you're using wood glue.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

LOL... It's the newest THING... All the cool builders are doing. Graphite Top reinforcement. LOL :D

Yea, I thought you were talking about the neck. Ha ha ha.

I don't know really how it will hold up, now that you mention it... I'm a noob. It should be ok if it's a carve top(1" thick), right? Is there a lot of stress on it, if it's glued to the one piece mahogany body. Shouldn't that give the top enough support(strength)?

Thanks

Chris

I don't know really how it will hold up, now that you mention it... I'm a noob. It should be ok if it's a carve top(1" thick), right? Is there a lot of stress on it, if it's glued to the one piece mahogany body. Shouldn't that give the top enough support(strength)?

The only problem I can think of is that it will be a bitch to sand. It is after all glued down to the mahogany.

Don't worry about it. I can assure you that it will not fall apart when you play the finished guitar. :D

We haven't seen end grain to end grain tops before probably because it is REALLY rare to find wide enough good quality wood for it (not that one needs to find).

There will be NO strength issues. My 0.02€

Endgrain to endgrain joints are problematic because the endgrain sucks up the glue and starves the joint. It is almost impossible to get a full strength joint endgrain to end grain. One woodworkers technique to improve the glueing process is to pre-soak the joint before assembly. The issue with cross grain is that sound travels at a fraction of the speed cross grain (thus the prefered method of using clear straight grain.), wood is also much weaker cross grain(significantly). This is just a top though and strength will not be a huge issue. As far as sound transmition it would be an ugly way to go on a neck, and not the best idea on the entire body, but it is just a top. Keep in mind people use burl and spalted tops(strength and structure is not so critical).

As far as bending the Figured Maple binding. It will be challenging. Get plenty of steam going and try to use the thinnest binding you will be happy with. Maybe a combination of fiber fine line and maple.

Peace,Rich

Edited by fryovanni

I have a question regarding the Stu-Mac Carbon Fiber Reinforcement Rods. I just received mine and there is no spesific directions.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Car...07.html#details

My question is...

How close should you put the Carbon Fiber Rods in relation to the truss rod in the neck? Is there a general rule of distance?

And... Do you run them with the paralell to the Truss Rod or the neck edge(tapering thinner to the head)?

I am planing on using the guitar example #3 set up.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by cpsmaxima