Figured Mahogany

jay5

This is the back of a guitar we just finished up at my work, thouth you guys might get a kick out of this mahogany. It was totally a fluke, one board out of about 250 bf of plain old mahogany, enough for 3 bodies.

flamehollow2.jpg

That's some sweet figure. I buy veneer that doesn't look as good as that.

I work with wood in my shop during the day and about a month ago I cut up an eight-quarter, 9" x 8', heavily figured Ash board for something that didn't need figure. A couple of days later, I started thinking about learning to build guitars and found this forum. I could kick myself. I'm working right now, finishing up the work I used the figured Ash on. It's such a shame. It would have been a good board to use on my second and/or third guitar. At least it wasn't a Mahogany board.

I buy a lot of Ash and the other wood buyers pick around the figured boards, leaving them till last. I guess most of them don't want the figure in a low-end wood like Ash. I guess that's my gain, at least until I move on to Mahogany/Quilted Maple bodies.

Certainly is a small world, I'd love to have you guys stop by the "cave". I was interested in building almost a full 2 years before I even found out Gadow was here, and I've been in NC for 13 years. You would be surprised how many builders there are in NC; us, McInturff, Briggs, Zion, McNaught, Buscarino and several others Im forgetting. Thegarehanman, stop by anytime, be sure to bring an axe or two!

I buy a lot of Ash and the other wood buyers pick around the figured boards, leaving them till last.

Well! I for one really like the look of figured ash, you should score some boards and make 'em available to us wood junkies here!

I've had a killer bass idea with figured ash top kicking around in my head for awhile (one of many...).

Boy, you guys don't waste any time. I promise I'll keep the board in mind when I'm buying wood. My wife is working on her master's degree and I have no budget for my new found hobby. I'm sure I'll appreciate the opportunity to either trade for components or make a couple of bucks I can use to buy pick-ups and all the rest of the hardware. Don't get too excited, however. I run across maybe 3 or 4 boards like this over a year's time.

Garehan, I'll be in Hilton Head for most of the winter break setting up my new grizzly oreinted shop :D

You should stop by me to if you've got wheels.

Not to mention the fact Benedetto is In Savanah like 45 minutes from me in HHI. And i talked to him the other day and he said I could drop by.

Chris

I should ask what width of board do you consider good for bodies. FYI, 8" is probably the average.

Wider boards are starting to get more scarce. I need to go to the lumberyard next week, so I should know soon.

8"? Pft! With the body profile I've been using lately, I only need about 6.5" on a two piece.

We make sure all our rough stock comes in at least 7" wide as most of our bodies are all 2 piece but it really all depends on what your building. 14" wide is usually fine for most applications.

Here's the top, I bookmatched a cutoff just long enough. In all honesty, I kinda' like the back better. The figure wraps right around the sides and really "moves" when you shift the body in the light, you can kinda' see it in the first pic of the back.

flamehollow.jpg