New Design

I know you said the pickups weren't screwed in yet and straight, but there seems to be a bit too much wood exposed at the bottom of the neck pickup where it goes into the carve...perhaps you could use a higher pickup ring or something?

P1051320.jpg

Otherwise, nice looking guitar, shame it isn't more blue...but it should come out ok in the end... pete

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, I was looking at these pictures again (I LOVE this guitar!!!) and it finally clicked as to what the guitar reminded me of. Reminds me of a SUPER sexy MM Petrucci model. Like, if you took his guitar and gave it a Hollywood makeover, and put on a better headstock. Excellent work :D

• 2 weeks later...

i made a control cavity cover with some of the wood left over from the top - and without a bandsaw its a bit of a pain in the bum! stained it and its come out looking more how i wanted the top to be than the top is, but o well. and when i screwed it down i stupidly screwed it too tight so one of the corners cracked. it may be fixable, so my question is - keep this one if i can fix it, make a new one, or do one out of black plastic?

heres a pic

P1171330.jpg

ps - the guitar hasnt been flatted and polished yet, hence it looking like crap

Edited by hooglebug

personally, I'd go with black plastic. I'm not a fan of wooden covers unless they perfectly match the surrounding wood...& Setch is the only person I've seen do it well. The cover looks great but it doesn't really work with the black back IMO.

+1

It looks kind of thrown on in an attempt to add wooden covers. Black would match much better.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, looking very nice.

At the moment it's hard to see past the grubby pickup cavities & the wood grain is a little distracting but once the hardware is on there it's going to look amazing. The glossiness on the front looks great, like a half-sucked sweet, what finish did you put on there?

..& the cavity cover looks much better :D

[EDIT] I've just had another look at the front... :D

yeah i'll have to remember to clean all the gunk out of the cavities (just the residue from flatting it).

the finish is just acrylic from spray cans - dont have a compressor yet.

there are some cosmetic mistakes with this one, mostly because i've never done anything like this before, but overall im pretty happy with it. hopefully someone will buy it so i can get started on its single cut big sister

ok, so its not gonna be finished today after all. the damn thing still hasnt hardened off yet and its been on about three weeks (!!??). so i think im gonna have to make some kind of heat box or something, make a wooden box and stick a four or six light bulbs in it or something. its pretty much doing my head in. o well.

i part wired the electrics which is all i can do for now. i really need a compressor so i can stop with these damn spray cans

I had a guitar that took about 5 months to harden sufficiently, I expect that it's to do with the cold & damp in the UK. I also think that a lot of my problems were because I also used spray cans & I was laying the coats on a bit too thick & too often. I read a lot of tutorials on spraying with cans & followed them religiously but, despite shooting the finish in the middle of the summer, the weather was nothing like that of the US...which is where most of the tutorials were written.

it must be just the weather, as iv done nothing different to my last one, and that was fine (in the summer) using the same brand and the same spraying technique. anyway, iv knocked up a little box today and just need to get a couple of light fittings and i'll be able to use that. hopefully it'll do the trick.

i've already redesigned the headstock for the next one (if there is a next one) so that the g string doesnt have to have a guide. if there is a next one, it will be the single cut version, which im quite looking forward to doing. hopefully this one will sell. when its finally done

that would be quite funny if it wasnt me.

hehe

just spent the last three hours sanding away all the bubbles. seems the wood shrunk a bit too - the sapele more than the maple of course - so iv had to sand down the maple edges. which is good because it gives me the chance to tidy them up a bit - there were a few places with marks or even bits of black on. so thats one good thing thats come out of it.

that would be quite funny if it wasnt me.

hehe

Don't get me wrong, I feel for ya...you come this far on a build, it really sucks when things go wrong.

On the bright side, you learned something pretty important--and you'll probably keep a lot of other people from making the same mistake (I'm planning on building a heat box for my current build, so what happened to you is definitely going to help me out).

I posted a while back (might have been to do with Mickguard's heatbox) regarding a device for regulating heat. It's made by Habistat & is a temperature regulator designed for vivarium's. Rather than letting a lamp heat up & then switch off (allowing the lamp to stay hot for a while) & causing temperature fluctuations it pulses on & off...keeping a constant heat which can be set on the unit.

I have one for my tortoise & it keeps a 6ftx3ft vivarium at a constant 32 degrees during the day & 28degrees at night.

here it is