What Design Did I Steal?

Vade

Errrr... the first one seems to have posted the title and description, but no actual post. Is there a way to delete that?

Anyway.

I just dusted off a guitar body I made when I was like 14 or 15, blowing time in the woodshop after an assigned project. What I'm wondering is if I got the idea for the heel from a guitar I'd seen somewhere or if I came up with it as a result of my not liking the flat-BUTTED* syndrome most gweeters seem to have. (( "nothing new under the sun," right? chances are SOMEONE'S made this exact shape. ))

Bodyshape-SM.jpg*

*photo manipulated & edited for claritiy

So does this look like something you've seen, especially a mass-production instrument?

*self-edit to conform to the rules I'm reading right now before I get slapped

Edited by Vade

Errrr... the first one seems to have posted the title and description, but no actual post. Is there a way to delete that?

Anyway.

I just dusted off a guitar body I made when I was like 14 or 15, blowing time in the woodshop after an assigned project. What I'm wondering is if I got the idea for the heel from a guitar I'd seen somewhere or if I came up with it as a result of my not liking the flat-BUTTED* syndrome most gweeters seem to have. (( "nothing new under the sun," right? chances are SOMEONE'S made this exact shape. ))

Bodyshape-SM.jpg

So does this look like something you've seen, especially a mass-production instrument?

*self-edit to conform to the rules I'm reading right now before I get slapped

What wood did you use, reminds me of red elm and red cedar?

man, dont worry about what your design looks like, i think that most designs that already exists, or are close to ''a'' other guitar

dont worry about it and build a nice guitar :D

Ok the body shape seems to be very similar to Conklin. But you have cut their heel off. Just curious to how far into the body the neck is going to go...

Hmmm... Good point, Tommy.

::ROUTES OUT NECK WITH PHOTOSHOP & REPLACES PICTURE WITH MANIPULATED VERSION::

(( if only I was as good at woodworking as I was with photomanipulation :D ))

How does that look to ya?

Looks a little like one of these...but not as pointy.

Wholly Carp, that DOES look similar, doesn't it? Cool & neat/Neat & cool! I've definitely never seen that LTD before, so I know for certain I couldn't have thought the butt end up from that axe! I've never been big on stabtacular guitars for my personal instruments, though I do appreciate a lot of the design and like looking at them!

man, dont worry about what your design looks like, i think that most designs that already exists, or are close to ''a'' other guitar

dont worry about it and build a nice guitar B)

Don't misunderstand me, Kiem... I'm not really worried per se but curious as to where the heck the shape idea came from way back when. I remembered that I had that old body over at my dad's house but having not seen it for a good 8 years, I remembered it quite differently. When I dug it out i was like :D "is THAT what I made? I thought it was just an ordinary looking strat/ibanez kinda hybrid deal but that wedge at the bottom definitely doesn't qualify as that!" It's really only curiosity to see what my old inspirado was, though now that I'm getting into this whole modding/building thing, I think it's high time that this little bod was put to good use and given a voice!

What wood did you use, reminds me of red elm and red cedar?

Sorry, RG. this question temporarily slipped my notice I guess!

It's Walnut, actually. I found it underneath an old broken bandsaw in the storage area of my high school woodshop. It was at least 10 or 15 years old back then and had a lot of worm damage so my teacher just let me have it. Fortunately, I was able to work around the worm holes and squeak a body out of it!

The new question is going to be "what the living hell am I going to MAKE with it?" Back then I was an aspiring young bassist and I had intended on making a bassguitar out of this thing eventually. But now that I'm more of a lead & rhythm player, mayhaps I should turn it into a solidbody electric 6?

Hmmm.. BOTH good ideas, Godin & Jens!

I'm diggin the string-thru idea from the LTD, for schwah! And I've never seen a grain-fill finish like that before. How exactly would one go about doing that? Is there a how-to somewhere on the forum for that finish? Though a trans-red would look really sweet since the walnut already had a very reddish natural hue. I've been thinking on this project thru the whole cabin weekend I just returned from and I think I'm definitely gonna go with a guitar over a bass. I'm pretty happy with the basses in my collection already and don't really need or even want another right now unless it's an acoustic. A seven would be pretty interesting to play with! I'm thinking few if any fret markings on a jet black ebony board. Possibly a single central inlay and that's it. Double humbuckers though, no doubt about it!