Through Neck Sg

so far i have finalized my plans in SolidWorks, because i plan to CNC the body sides. if all else fails i can always use a band saw. the CAD drawing is done except i didnt round off the bottom of the neck at the bottom of the guitar because i am lazy, and the guitar will have only one tone and one volume knob with a kill switch instead of what is pictured in the model.

sgthruneck.JPG

-mahogany body sides with maple/mahogany/maple through neck

PARTS LIST (i am putting a gibson 490t in the bridge which isnt included in the list)

Edited by wwwdotcomdotnet

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, man. it's james. cool stuff. i'm pumped. i mentioned on the GZ board, the mahogany body pieces are wrong. 18 pieces each with a length of 2? oh, and, ah, for some reason, the mods on this board don't like you posting two pictures in one post. *shrug*.. and i didn't know there was going to be a kill switch... that'll be fun.

hey, man. it's james. cool stuff. i'm pumped. i mentioned on the GZ board, the mahogany body pieces are wrong. 18 pieces each with a length of 2? oh, and, ah, for some reason, the mods on this board don't like you posting two pictures in one post. *shrug*.. and i didn't know there was going to be a kill switch... that'll be fun.

yeah for some reason thats how it showed up when i ordered it, but i called rockler to make sure and it is 2 pieces of 18" mahogany. oh and i didnt know about the 1 picture rule. i changed the first post to fix that. thanks!

whats all the weird widths of mahagony?

and OMG that wiring kit is expensive..

check out www.guitarfetish.com for some cheaper stuff.

especially those grovers, I got wilkison locking from there. I have grovers as well, but they only cost me $40 here localy.

yeah i was going to order from guitar fetish but it seems like its cheaper knockoff stuff. im sure its nice, but i figured id order all from stew mac so if i have any problems im all set because they have really good customer service. plus i figured it was worth it buying grovers vs "grover styled" tuners. next time i will buy the electronics from them though

so i have all my parts and the wood is here tomorrow, and before i start cutting the body i want to make sure i have gotten all the other options out of my head. i need some advice, how does this double cutaway look in comparison to the sg i drew in CAD? im pretty much dead set on the sg, but double cutaways make me tingle too, so what do you guys think?

guitar2.JPG

lasercuttemplates.JPG

Change of plans for the templates. Instead of having them water jet cut out of acrylic, I had them laser cut out of MDL because MDL much cheaper. All I had to do was convert the SolidWorks drawing file to a .DWG file and open it with AutoCad and press some buttons on a giant laser cutter machine, and this is the product. Thats Double Bubble in case you were wondering.

bodyroughcut.JPG

Here is the rough cut of the guitar body with the neck wood to get an idea of what it will look like once the edges of the body are routed. I used a bandsaw to cut the body out and then sanded the edges a little. Once I get some clamps and double sided tape I will put the templates on top of the sides of the body and use a router to make it perfect.

bodyroughcut.JPG

Here is the rough cut of the guitar body with the neck wood to get an idea of what it will look like once the edges of the body are routed. I used a bandsaw to cut the body out and then sanded the edges a little. Once I get some clamps and double sided tape I will put the templates on top of the sides of the body and use a router to make it perfect.

looks awesome! I prefer bubbalicious though. :D