Fanned Fret 8 Design...

this is based off the superstrat i've already built, which if you haven't seen yet,

bath3.jpg

so i drew this up last night, basically i slightly modified the contour of the waist, and added about 3/4" to the ass end, just so it looks right, and then i designed a straight string pull 3+5 headstock for it... i also started the upper cutaway at 18 instead of 20, but the lower remains unchanged. when i build the first one of these, it might be carved top, but its not gonna be a thin body, the one i built already is 1.5" at the thickest point, and about 1 1/4 at the thinnest... its also not going to have any figured top, it'll be a solid finish, possibly white... i'm not set on the pickup config, i drew it as a 45dc, but i've been thinking of expirimenting with a 2 pickup in series config, using an x2n-b for the lower strings and a x2n for the upper strings, staggering them like a backwards p bass pickup... though i might try messing around with running them in parallel first, or running a single coil off each, we'll see... got lots of options there. anyways, i'll probably build the first one with alder wings, neck through of course, maple neck, ebony board, probably go with my favorite, dunlop 6100 for fretwire... graphtech for the nut, recessed strap locks on the back side... and just a double dot inlay at the 12th fret. though upon further thought, i might do this as a bolt on my first time around...

heres the design, its 27.5-25 for the scale lengths

http://www.elysian-online.com/FannedFret8.jpg

Edited by ElysianGuitars

I like it, though if it were my choice I'd go for a longer scale on the bass side. What are you tuning it to?

Also, why did you choose to have the points where the frets come level so low down the neck? On the fanned acoustic I'm working on at the moment everything's straight at the 12th fret, and drops evenly each side of that

Really nice guitar you've got there. I can't wait to see you apply your skills to a fanned fret 8 string.

Question though - I've read a few different ways to do fanned frets, but i was of the same mind as Jammy where the 12th fret is totally straight and considered the midpoint of the fan.... is that what you're doing? I'm just trying to understand methods for fanned frets as i'm considering attempting it.

Edited by Canuck Brian

Really nice guitar you've got there. I can't wait to see you apply your skills to a fanned fret 8 string.

Question though - I've read a few different ways to do fanned frets, but i was of the same mind as Jammy where the 12th fret is totally straight and considered the midpoint of the fan.... is that what you're doing? I'm just trying to understand methods for fanned frets as i'm considering attempting it.

You can keep any fret you want level.

Decide on 2 scale lengths, decide where you want the level fret and line the 2 scale lengths up at that fret.

i'd much rather have it level in the lower register when i'm riffing i think, though i've never actually played a fanned fret guitar, so when i build this, it'll be the first. i'm also going to do the asymmetrical neck profile like i did on my 7 string V, so it should be pretty comfortable all around i hope. its going to be tuned to F# for this one, i'm probably going to wind up doing a 26.5-24 or so for a low B and high A(with a 8 guage string likely)

I love the mods you did to the Horns but I do think that the area in red needs to flow a bit more, it just kinda looks off to me

Modidea.jpg

you know for a guy thats not too keen on Ibanez!!! :D just messing with ya man :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

It's a perfect curve, how would you make it flow more???

Well I dont know I just think it could flow A bit nicer with the Upper horn

!!METAL MATT!! :D

It doesn't look wrong at ALL now, but the bridge and bridge PU suggest an aggressive slant, so having a more aggresive curve (is that what you meant about the apex? Probably!) would fit that overall theme.

This Is what Im thinking! the Botom of the Guitar looks best when its Wider than the horns like this

design1.jpg

This Is just me man Its Your axe And Im sure It will Kick but in the end

This Is what Im thinking! the Botom of the Guitar looks best when its Wider than the horns like this

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea...tar/design1.jpg

This Is just me man Its Your axe And Im sure It will Kick but in the end

they were made from the same drawing man, i'm not a fan of the modification you did, i think it may look funny because the picture of the drawing is tilted a bit, it looks too wide the way you modified it. and i just checked the measurements, and the curve on each side is the same distance from the center...

Edited by ElysianGuitars

it may look funny because the picture of the drawing is tilted a bit

AHHH!! well there ya go :D So whens the wood geting cut when will sawdust fly?

it may look funny because the picture of the drawing is tilted a bit

AHHH!! well there ya go :D So whens the wood geting cut when will sawdust fly?

i'm hoping to have all the wood together by january, as well as some basic tools, and i'll try and find a place i can do the work around here, i know there is a forum member in ft worth who says his shop is open to anyone from this forum, as long as he's there, so i'll probably hit him up...