Borrowing a finishing idea...

Ford

Hey,

I was looking at the entries September guitar of the month contest, and really liked the finish on francelj's second guitar.

1.jpg

I think he said it was just oil on flamed maple. Is that just tung oil on the raw maple, is it stained, filled, dyed...?

eh?

Oh, and how do you do the natural binding? I think I remember seeing a tutorial about that somewhere, but I lost it... :D

Thats right... I remember now, thanks!

So so so, francelj, or anyone, what was used on that lovely flame to give it that particular look?

Hey thats a nice looking geetar!

I think you basically answered your question about whether or not it is dyed. I mean if it has a natural binding, then it has to be stained to have that separation effect. Plus we all know that maple is very white/tanish, and thats more of a black-brown color. I think he stained it, and then put tung oil over the entire body after the staining was dry. But I've never Stained anything and then tung oiled it so I dunno if that would even work.

I gotta find out what stain he used... :D

It also looks like the pickups and trem are brown, does anybody else see that?

This may give you a clue on how to go about it...

You may need to jump from step 7 to 10.

:D

Ah, that may be it then. Will using the black stain be too much for this particular finish you think? Or should I look for a brown...

Hey, also, when useing Tung Oil, do you need to use a filler? I also assume that you can oil over a stain. Right now I'm thinking of a basswood body with a flamed maple top (I've heard this lends to a even tone, good for many styles), and a maple, mohogany laminate neck. I know bass wood is soft, and a hard finish is reccomended, but it may not matter as it will only be visible on the back...

I dunno... :D

I believe it's ok with anniline (water-based) dyes. As for oil-based, no idea, sorry. I wouldn't have thought filling would be necessarry unless you have some major pitting.

With the powdered annilines you can mix the colour you want, so you could get a very dark brown, which I think would look wicked!

Thanks wes, I'll look into that as well. Is there a particular place that is good to buy that from?

Incidentially, one of the last bands I was in had a song called "Dont sleep with your neighbors goat" ... the stuff we came up with at 3 am...

:D

To find it locally (Tru-Oil), most all gun shops will carry it, as well as any big superstores that have a gun section.

It is primarily used to coat and protect gunstocks.

Use lots of really thin coats, not a few thick coats.

PS, I do a lot of 'stain black and sand back' finishes, that guitar doesn't look to me like black was used, just brown.

There 'is' a powdered anilyne stain made by Lockwood called silver-grey that reminds me of that look, the one above looks more brown tho.

I think PRS used the silver-grey as a base and shaded the sides black, I think that was one of their finishes years ago, but I'm no PRS expert...