Tom Anderson Guitars

http://www.andersonguitars.com/

Am I the only one that didn't know this? What a shame, Tom Anderson guitars are some among the best production guitars in the world.

no shame here, he's doing what he loves.. i visted his shop in 04, and had lunch with him, spent the whole day with the guy... really a nice man. very passionate, and loves what he does... he just wants out of the "business" end and wants to design and build.

dave

I think it's a much better option than to sell the company to whoever and watch the quality go down, taking your name and reputation with it.

+1

It is exactly what happened with Bob Benedetto's relationship with Guild (Fender)...and why he's going back to being the boss.

I mean really....if Tom Anderson goes back to being a 1-man shop, he can probably charge $10k+ per guitar, live the lifestyle he wants, and still make out like a bandit.

http://www.andersonguitars.com/

Am I the only one that didn't know this? What a shame, Tom Anderson guitars are some among the best production guitars in the world.

no shame here, he's doing what he loves.. i visted his shop in 04, and had lunch with him, spent the whole day with the guy... really a nice man. very passionate, and loves what he does... he just wants out of the "business" end and wants to design and build.

dave

.... Not shame for Tom, shame for people that buy guitars...

I'm just waiting to see those 20 luthiers that worked for him open their own shop (either together or individually). That's a lot more quality instruments that should be hitting the market before long.

There are plenty of ways Tom could have hired someone to handle the business aspects for him while neither giving up the company nor sacrificing what he wants to work on (ala Bill Gates model) -- but that is his decision to make. Good luck to Tom either way. It certainly will increase the value of the existing instruments, as production will drop to almost nothing.

I would bet he could make as much money as a one man shop. Most of the money made from the larger volume probably went to wages, tooling,and overhead. As a one man shop he will make a pretty fair income, and not have to deal with the volume. Shoot he could just teach and make a good living. He could sell the name any time he wants, and the suits could stick the name on as many guitars as they want from the overseas factories. If he has enough income to do as he pleases, and wants to preserve his companies name and reputation(that he built). He should do as he pleases.

Good for him!

Peace,Rich

This is true^^^ but remember that most of the people here have a job and don't depend on building to make a living! When building guitars is your 1st income it is a whole different game! Is just like Perry, Myka, and Doug!!! Have you seen their workload! Most of the time they are so busy trying to keep up with the demand that you barely see them around! What about Jeremy!(LGM), I haven't seen him here in months!!! And this are a few of the one man shops that are active on this board!

what he said^^^^

And getting staff to assist??? That means you spent time every day showing them what to do, making sure they can do it, ordering materials and parts to keep them busy, talking to clients so they have work to do, paying for their mistakes, filling out wage forms, taxes, complying with government regulations, workers comp, superannuation, working out holiday entitlements, bla bla bla the list goes on, and on, and on...

Why would you want to own a guitar making business when all you do is paperwork??