Putting A Poster On A Guitar

buredf

hi all,

im wondering if its possible to take a poster cut it out exactly to the shape of the guitar, glue it down and then put the clear coat and finish over it to make it look like someone painted on the guitar.

there was a tutorial in which someone put down a material finish from cotton and it looked really good, do u think it would work just as well with a poster

-dom

is there any prep work that needs to be done?

essentially do i still need to use a grain sealer on the unfinished guitar and then apply the graphic or can i just apply the graphic right over the body of the guitar?

also do i just spray the clear coat directly on the graphic? is there anything that needs to go on before that?

also how long do i wait before i start the wetsanding process of smoothing it out?

The original Ibanez JPM's (the P1 model) was a graphic that was cut out, stuck on and clear coated. They work and look amazing :D

S

google "decoupage". probably won't get any guitar related sites, but you should get heaps of info re techniques.

cheers

darren

let me suggest that the smoother your guitar body is the smoother your poster is going to look. if you're using a really tight grained wood it may not be as important but if you're using an open grained wood that grain could very easily show through your poster once you get it glued down. putting a couple of coats of a sealer down and sanding it flat won't take that long and will insure that nothing will show through.

good luck with your project.

Im going to use Poplar wood.

Ive also been recently told that putting the clear coat right over the paper will cause it to buckle.

although i am not even sure exacty what that means!

but.. i ordered the poster today and I am going to test it.

i do have aa few more questions..

Which clear coat do I get? and once i apply the clear coat, do i still need to let it sit for 2 months before I wet sand and smooth it out? or do i just need to wait a few days?

is there a clear coat that I can get which dries completely in 2 days?

also another thing.. i was reading up more on decoupage and basically you are sealing the paper with a combi of elmers glue and water, but how do you sand elmers glue so that its a really smooth finish?

id imagine if you have streaks in that from brushing it on it will show right through the clear coat

-dom

Edited by buredf

A old tecnque for this is to spray several coats of laquer clear on the front of the poster. After this has cured you soak the paper from the back with water and rub all of the paper away leaving only a thin layer of laquer and the ink from the poster behind. Difficult to do it works and is very thin. To adhere it to the surface you would spray some laquer and lay it on . The cool thing is the laquer melts together adn it is permanent.

This is a little time consuming so I would use a water slide decal paper printed on my pigment based inkjet to create the decal. Pigment based color is rated for 100 year fade resist indoors. I have been testing the ink outdoors for 4 months and it has not faded compared to the unexposed area.

• 1 year later...