No Artificial Harmonics On One Guitar?

i've had this problem with this guitar for as long as i've had it, but it's the only guitar i've ever had it with. i've set the guitar up a number of times....even taken it apart a few times and put it back together after making upgrades and such, but for some reason i've always had a hard time getting artificial harmonics out of this guitar, anywhere on the neck. what could cause that?

To answer your last question - strings, pickups, setup (frets, nut, pup height), physical materials of the guitar, lack of gain or compression in amplification, playing style etc. Not that I'm generalising there as that seems to cover "guitar and amp" :-D

I think we can rule out style as you say "it's the only guitar i've ever had it with" so I think we know you can pull them. Ergo I think we can also rule out amplification and effects as you can pull them on other guitars with your setup.

This leaves strings, pickups, setup, materials.

Please elaborate a little on:

- make and model of guitar

- build type (set, thru, bolt-on)

- pickups

- amp and effects

- strings

...and we'll try to pinpoint it a little further...

Do fretted notes sustain well? Do you have a high or a low setup? What bridge are you using (fixed, trem?).

To answer your last question - strings, pickups, setup (frets, nut, pup height), physical materials of the guitar, lack of gain or compression in amplification, playing style etc. Not that I'm generalising there as that seems to cover "guitar and amp" :-D

I think we can rule out style as you say "it's the only guitar i've ever had it with" so I think we know you can pull them. Ergo I think we can also rule out amplification and effects as you can pull them on other guitars with your setup.

This leaves strings, pickups, setup, materials.

Please elaborate a little on:

- make and model of guitar

- build type (set, thru, bolt-on)

- pickups

- amp and effects

- strings

...and we'll try to pinpoint it a little further...

Do fretted notes sustain well? Do you have a high or a low setup? What bridge are you using (fixed, trem?).

it's a 1988 B.C. Rich USA Gunslinger, bolt-on neck. alder body, maple neck and fingerboard. Joe Barden HB and S-Standard pickups. amp doesn't matter because i have the problem unplugged as well. i think the strings are D'Addario (been quite some time since i last restrung this guitar...i've been leaving it at home while i'm at school).

the guitar overall has ridiculous sustain. right now the action is a bit on the high side, but i've played other guitars with higher action where i could get harmonics with no problem at all. it's got an Ibanez LoPro Edge on it, with 4 springs, and set up to float, but i also had this same problem with the stock licensed Floyd.

i've had this problem with this guitar for as long as i've had it, but it's the only guitar i've ever had it with. i've set the guitar up a number of times....even taken it apart a few times and put it back together after making upgrades and such, but for some reason i've always had a hard time getting artificial harmonics out of this guitar, anywhere on the neck. what could cause that?

I had the exact same problem on a 1986 Kramer Paul Dean - Neck through body construction, Honduran Mahogany body wings, s/s/hum configuration, brazillian rosewood fingerboard. I tried everything to fix the problem (intonation, pickups - even EMGs, action, strings, technique, truss rod...). This was the flagship model at Kramer back the the day.

Sold the guitar and never looked back. Its the only guitar on which I could not get good artificial harmonics. I guess some guitars just don't ring the same way as others.

I had the exact same problem on a 1986 Kramer Paul Dean - Neck through body construction, Honduran Mahogany body wings, s/s/hum configuration, brazillian rosewood fingerboard. I tried everything to fix the problem (intonation, pickups - even EMGs, action, strings, technique, truss rod...). This was the flagship model at Kramer back the the day.

Sold the guitar and never looked back. Its the only guitar on which I could not get good artificial harmonics. I guess some guitars just don't ring the same way as others.

yeah this one i pretty much refuse to sell, because it sounds absolutely amazing other than this problem, which is very frustrating.

what other guitars have you used?

maybe it has a different scale length to what you're used to & you're pinching in the wrong place?....have you tried just moving your picking hand up & down the string whilst using your pinching technique?

Can you get natural harmonic's?....because if you can, you should be able to get artificial's. Pinch the string at the same point as the 24th fret harmonic & it should sound the 24th fret harmonic.

maybe it has a different scale length to what you're used to & you're pinching in the wrong place?....have you tried just moving your picking hand up & down the string whilst using your pinching technique?

Can you get natural harmonic's?....because if you can, you should be able to get artificial's. Pinch the string at the same point as the 24th fret harmonic & it should sound the 24th fret harmonic.

+1

thats basicly how I started learning about artificals, an where Id suggest starting on this guitar.

more than i can remember, but i've owned:

Epiphone T-310 Telecaster copy

B.C. Rich Platinum Ironbird

B.C. Rich Rave ST

Charvel CX390

Charvel Charvette 100

B.C. Rich USA Gunslinger

Aria Pro II AXL CST-3 Excel Custom-3

Ibanez AX7521 7-string

Fender/Heartfield Talon II

Ibanez RG7620 7-string (x2)

Ibanez RG750

Zion Radicaster

Agile PS-900

Kramer S-2027SM 7-string

Charvel CX692

maybe it has a different scale length to what you're used to & you're pinching in the wrong place?

i've only owned two guitars that were not 25.5" scale, and i've never had troubles switching back and forth between 25.5" and 24.75"....the guitar in question is 25.5"

....have you tried just moving your picking hand up & down the string whilst using your pinching technique?

yes

Can you get natural harmonic's?

yes

....because if you can, you should be able to get artificial's. Pinch the string at the same point as the 24th fret harmonic & it should sound the 24th fret harmonic.

i'll give that a shot and see what happens and report back

it being impossible to get an artificial harmonic.

believe me, it can happen. I play three different scale guitars (Fender, PRS and Les Paul) and have NEVER had any problems getting pinch harmonics. I've had a lot of guitars over the years and I play a lot of Zakk Wylde so I know a thing or two about pinch harmonics :D

The only guitar that I couldn't get harmonics is the '86 Kramer. Glad I sold it.