Les Paul Style Guitar

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a real beauty, Marcovis. Great job!

If you don't mind my asking, what is the technique for the unfinished top edges that (in effect) are binding? Is this area taped off, clear-coated before color-coated, do you use pinstriping tape? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Again, nice work.

I have a special scraper tool I made using a razor blade and a piece of mahogany. I'll take pics of it when I get to the shop later this afternoon.

Here is a quick shot of the binding scraper. All you do is determine how wide you want the binding to be and set the razor blade on the wood so that it sticks out that far, then use a hammer to tap it in place. The angle under the razor blade IMHO makes it easier to scrape cutaways. The other trick I do is after I scrape the binding area, I go back and shoot just the edge of the guitar(like a sunburst) with clear lacquer two or three times to build the finish that was scraped back up. This makes the finish sanding go a lot smoother.

219254544.jpg

Here it is. I'm shipping it out this week to get custom pickups wound to it from Will Boggs @ Wb custom pickups (wb custom pickups). Will just started his company and let me tell you, his pickups rock! I have tried his Firewater bridge and his Hell bridge pickup. Both are very articulate and sound awesome. I had a SD custom custom laying around so I threw it in to check out the electronics and the guitar sounds amazing. The combo of a maple neck and an ebony fingerboard is a winner IMHO. The guitar just vibrates like crazy and I can't wait to play it with the custom pickups.

220309812.jpg

back

Flame neck/ neck joint

Edited by Marcovis

It sounded huge and full when I had a SD custom custom in the bridge, but I havn't played it since the new pickups were wound and installed. Will says it sounds just like a les paul should. I'll get to play it on wednesday when I get to California for NAMM. Speaking of NAMM if anyone is going this year, this guitar and another by me will be at the Mills Acoustic speaker cabinets booth(booth #213C-P).