Guitar Neck Scratch

efdi

I would like to start by saying hello to everybody, since i'm new to this forum.:D

I have a small problem and i need some advice; I have a Jackson DXMG, and i recently discovered a scratch on the back of the neck. The varnish has been torn off, and i would like to know if there is any way to fix it without having to revarnish the whole neck. Can i sand that part and apply varnish only to it? Would that affect the sound in any way? Will it blend in with the rest of the varnish or will it be clearly visible, like a stain? I have uploaded some pictures; please tell me what you think

neck1.jpg

neck2.jpg

Any work you'll do on this neck will likely put it out of commission for a while, so make sure you have a backup to play. And I wouldn't work on a neck you really like until you've got a good handle on what you're going to do. It's pretty easy to screw up a neck.

Besides, I see marks like this as part of the life of a guitar--the more the merrier, I say--especially since this doesn't look like it affects the way it plays or feels at all. Just chalk it up to part of the guitar's character...and play on :D

sorry mickguard, im gonna have to disagree with ya there :D

this kinda repair should take an hour for any skill level (as long as youve ever held a piece of steel wool)

just dont sand anything exept what you can cup your hand around (volute - heel) and make long strokes up and down the back of the neck; do this with 1 steel wool until your mark is gone; if that dosent remove it then your too deep and you will be reshaping the neck (if thats what you meant then i appoligize)

but that kinda repair aint worth it, if its really deep fill it with clear stick laquer then sand smooth

Leave it alone - it's not even visible in your close up shot, so it's definately not worth messing with. Finish repair is a massive can of worms, and 99% of the time the correct route is to live with the dings, scratches, whatever - they're character, and they'll be plenty more along shortly!

You stand a serious risk of doing more harm than good if you try to 'fix' this.

Thanks for the quick replies!:D

The close up is rather fuzzy because of the camera; The spot is not deep, but the varnish has been clearly torn off, i can "feel" the bare wood with my thumb. The first picture presents it a bit more clearly than the close up.

Also, it didn't use to be so green, it's turning greener in time. I'm afraid it will get bigger, so i want to fix it now so i won't regret it later. I realize it's a minor thing, but i'm afraid it will get worse in time...

The close up is rather fuzzy because of the camera; The spot is not deep, but the varnish has been clearly torn off, i can "feel" the bare wood with my thumb. The first picture presents it a bit more clearly than the close up.

It's pretty unlikely what you're feeling is the wood --that's probably the sealer they used when finishing the neck. Enough of that soaks into the wood so the wood will remain protected, if that's what you're worried about.

One of my guitars is 40 years old, and there are entire patches on the back of the neck that have been nicked or scarred or just simply worn down (it's my favorite guitar :D ). None of that stops the neck from being playable.

I suppose you could drop fill some sort of protective layer into the spot --maybe someone here can suggest the appropriate product, like CA glue or something. That way you don't have to get involved in the actual refinishing work and can just get on with playing.