And Here's My First Inlay

Ok, so here it is.

The photo is not so good tho.

19-star-inlay-finished.jpg

It will look neater when I get the frets on the board of course, so all in all I'm pleased with it.

I probably shouldn't have started out with such a complex shape, but I'm making my 'dream' guitar, so I had to try.

I see some small holes in the filler here and there, I actually only saw 2 before I took the photo, so I'm unsure if I should care about it,

I guess it is possible to add some more filler and sand it down, but I'm afrait to mess it up more than it is.

About sanding, I have started to sand the fretboard, getting a 16" radius, but since I have no experience, I'm unsure how much to sand on every grit.

To me it looks fine, but I doubt that it is, but I have nothing to compare with, so I don't know when every grit is 'finished'.

Should I sand every grit for about 5 mins, 10, 30, no idea. It feels nice and smooth now, but I only sanded to about 320 grit now, I know I gotta go higher, but how high should I go..?

Another thing, it is best to sand the board completely before fretting, right..?

thanks a lot!!

And happy new year btw.. :D

Edited by Unrealize

Pearl is really easy to polish. 5 minutes would be WAY TOO MUCH. Get the radius right, than a little 400 grit until the scratches are gone, than extra fine steel wool to shine it up. That's all it needs. It a lot easier than it sounds too. Don't over think it or over polish. The whole thing shouldn't (after the radius) take more than a minute.

My first project was crazy. I was told that there was a inlay teaching company and for the final project you did a butterfly. So I did a butterfly and on flower. 52 pieces of 12 different materials. I found out later that the butterfly the training company did was 6 pieces :-) On well, once the swearing stopped I got a lot of experience from that one project.

Ok, so here it is.

I guess it's an ebony board, right? I take my boards to 1200 grit.

If you are using epoxy for filler go slow or the heat can get the epoxy to kind of smear. At least that happened to me once. And the epoxy was ndeed fully cured before I started to sand.

Ok, so here it is.

I guess it's an ebony board, right? I take my boards to 1200 grit.

That's an ebony board, correct. I was lucky to get a very nice and dark board. I was afraid that I had to stain it, the first board that I got I would have had to stain, but I messed it up in other ways, so I had to order a new one. Used epoxy to fill the gaps too, so I'll go slow with it then. I waited more than 24 hours before starting to work on it, so it should be fully cured. I'm unsure if I'm going to try to fill the tiny gaps that are in the inlay now, but at the same time it agitates me that they are there.. hehe..

We'll I'll try to sand it some more, and then try to fit in some epoxy here and there..

I'm unsure if I'm going to try to fill the tiny gaps that are in the inlay now, but at the same time it agitates me that they are there.. hehe..

We'll I'll try to sand it some more, and then try to fit in some epoxy here and there..

The pin holes can be filled with more epoxy. Sand what you have now flush and see if they still show.

To avoid the pin holes, heat the epoxy for 10-20mn with a heat lamp. That allows the tiny air bubbles to escape and helps with the settling of the epoxy.

Good Luck.

:D