New Idea, Is It Possible?

vanemeth

Was thinking bout making a gang saw for slotting fretboards. Could take a 3' threaded rod and 22 - .023 slitting blades found for roughly $5 eack on the internet. A couple of block bearings on each end of the rod ,and the blades spaced accordingly on the rod. Then with a pulley and motor on the end on a makeshift table/stand, rig up a one pass fretboard slotting saw. Bad idea, good idea, just plain stupid...input please.

Of course it is possible... but my opinion, unless you're trying to crank out 10 guitars a day... why bother. Seems you'd be more accurate by hand. Here is Gibson's:

dobromills10.jpg

I am not production minded, but just thought it might be an interesting challenge...and it would give me somthing to do while my finish is drying.

I am not production minded, but just thought it might be an interesting challenge...and it would give me somthing to do while my finish is drying.

Definitely keep us in the loop - I'd love to see what you come up with.

Regards,

Rob

I think the biggest challenge would be keeping each of the blades true and not running out slightly. Very difficult if you're proposing 22 blades spaced to around 0.1mm each.

I would imagine that a machine shop millling a set of 21 accurately made mid-blade shims plus two end spacers, and two or three rods to go through the spacers, blades and end caps with tightening nuts would be a bluffers approach. Kind of like a diminishing stack.

I do have one question maybe you guys could help me out. Regarding the slitting saw blades, I have read that some makers say you can use these and other who say you absolutely cannot. What is the deal? I have ordered one recently (have not gotten it yet and it was only five dollars) to see if I can use it, but has anyone given it a go and what were your results?

I think your design sounds doable. The blades you are talking about should work also. I would imagine that some VERY careful setup would be required but theyre is no reason why you shouldnt be able to mfg a usable rig.

I do have one question maybe you guys could help me out. Regarding the slitting saw blades, I have read that some makers say you can use these and other who say you absolutely cannot. What is the deal? I have ordered one recently (have not gotten it yet and it was only five dollars) to see if I can use it, but has anyone given it a go and what were your results?

the reason you see that is because people are trying to use them on there table saw. for that Id just get the stewmac blade, much more stable.

if you've ever watched the "how its made" series on discovery youd see Godins uses a saw EXACTLY like what your talking about.

but honestly, if your going to be making less then 10 a day, a fretsaw and Jig work just as fast.

it took me 5 minutes to slot 3 boards. Using just the stewmac blade, and my jig.

but honestly, if your going to be making less then 10 a day, a fretsaw and Jig work just as fast.

10 a day!? We do 6-8 a week at work and I would LOVE to have a gang saw. Hell, it takes me 3-4 minutes a piece to do them on the tablesaw, I cant imagine that I could do 3 boards in 5 minutes by hand. I guess if you are doing one or two at a time you might save some setup time by doing it by hand. The slotting blades in a setup like you are proposing would work just fine. The LMI blade is just a 6" HSS slotting blade. now get to work! :D

10 a day!? We do 6-8 a week at work and I would LOVE to have a gang saw. Hell, it takes me 3-4 minutes a piece to do them on the tablesaw, I cant imagine that I could do 3 boards in 5 minutes by hand. I guess if you are doing one or two at a time you might save some setup time by doing it by hand. The slotting blades in a setup like you are proposing would work just fine. The LMI blade is just a 6" HSS slotting blade. now get to work! :D

Oh im using the table saw. I still call it a fret saw, sorry. its the "fret slotting blade" but thats all I used that table for. and my shooter board is long enough to do multiple boards.