Vampyre Bass

I have recently started a new build. Its a 34" Vampyre Bass. It has a 5 piece flame maple and purlpe heart neck and the sides are walnut with maple. I am installing a double expanding trussrod from warmoth and two steel stiffeners. It will have a graphite nut and 4 mono bridges. For the pickups I will be using an EMG "PJ" set up. Below is a pic of my progress to date.

DSCF00682.jpg

PTU 7's--I think that I am going to keep the horns on the head offset, its kind of my shape. It is obviously PRS inspired but it is the shape that I have put on all of my projects so far. I do however think that I may bevel or round off the perimeter.

Prostheta--I think that I am going to shape/carve it like the original, however I haven't started carving yet so I may still change my mind. I don't know if you remember me or not but you sent me the auto cad layout of the shape. Thanks again for that it is very appreciated.

Thanks for all of the complements on the walnut. It started off as a 6'x11"x2" board that I bought at a local lumber supplier for $89.00 US. The good thing about the place that I bought it from is that they don't grade their lumber, the bad thing is that you have to sort through stacks of it to find what you are looking for. I think that it was worth it. I hope to post some more progress pics soon.

I do indeed remember that Cyclone :-D I would say that given the experience with my Vampyre build (well, I actually have two) if you don't carve the perimeter then the recesses look too small. I opened mine out on the five-string to balance it all out for a straight contouring.

vampyre5_30_safe.jpg

Well its update time. I have just received the mono bridges that I ordered new on ebay and a brand new set of EMG PJ pickups also from ebay. I have layed out my fret board and I am going to start cutting slots tomorrow. I was thinking about binding the fret board in some purple heart but I haven't made up my mind on that yet. I think I may play around with that tomorrow as well. I will probably glue in the steel truss rod stiffeners tomorrow as well. Attached below is a pic of the roughed out fret board and the bridges in place. Please feel free to comment.

DSCF0078.jpg

I would recommend printing out the template I sent you onto paper, and creating an "inner template" for the curves at the sides and running a roundover bit around the edges, then using the template to run a round end bit on the inside of those raised outer curves. Much better than doing it by hand like I did on my mahogany prototype :-D Those mono bridge will look hellaciously cool. Any news on inlay choice?

• 2 weeks later...

Well its time for an update. I have located the pickups and routed out the cavities. For an added accent I am lining the pickup cavities in ebony. Attached below is a picture. I have only had time to do one of the radii where the screws go. I hope to have the rest done by the end of the week. Please feel free to comment.

DSCF0097.jpg

Cyclone,

The bass looks awesome.

Do you have a slight neck angle in there?... if you don`t ,remember Fender runs a straight neck but their fretboards are elevated a little.Without a slight angle you may have some action issues to deal with if your neck is flush to the body.

• 3 weeks later...

Well its time for an update. I have located and drilled the controls (two volume and one tone). I routed out the control cavity and made a cavity cover and lastly started shaping the back. I still have a little more shaping to do to the back of the body and then I can finish working on the back of the neck. I have included some pics below please feel free to comment.

dscf0032.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its update time. I have radius the finger board, slotted it and glued it to the neck to include some twelfth fret inlay. Pics are below.

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0043.jpg

Next I will fit the nut, drill the tuner locations and dry fit everything to make sure it all works and fits prior to fretting and finishing the carve on the top. Please feel free to comment.

• 2 months later...

Its update time. I have finished the carving and the rough sanding. I am in the process of sanding to 220 grit before stain the whol thing a very light shade of brown and sand back to bring out all of the figure. I will then be spraying the first sealer coat. However, I still have some final shaping and sanding to do on the head stock. When I am finished with it I will post more pics. Below is a pic of the shaped body. Please feel free to comment.

DSCF00622.jpg