Should I Even Be Doing This?

I don't even remember when I decided to build a guitar, but I know why I did. I can't simply go buy the guitar I want, and if it were custom made for me, I could sell my car and still not be able to afford it. So I found this site and I've been reading all your posts about everything and using google to look up various things. I still come back to the same questions every time. Can I build a really good guitar the FIRST time? Is it worth doing time and money wise in the end? Do I even know how to build a guitar? One thing on my side is that if I get into trouble i know a very skilled luthier that is willing to help me. So here I am with enough honduran mahogany to make 2 explorer bodies, a load of black walnut, and a Kahler trem. It's all just sitting there and every day I think over in my head how to turn these things into my dream. I've worked with wood since I was 14, and I work with it every day now. I'm not a stranger to power tools, hand tools, sand paper, finishing, etc. I'm more than comforatable creating things from wood.

I have zero drawings, no sketches, no plans. I'm copying a body of a guitar I own and copying a neck from another guitar that I own and "throwing" them togeather. I'll probably make plans eventually. I know the tools and materials I need to buy and I'm saving to buy them. Sometimes I think "Building a guitar isn't all that hard..." other times I think it could be the hardest thing I could have chosen to build. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

There's no guitar I'm piecing togeather, or any practice "fixer-uppers" because that's a waste to me and I can't afford it. I've invested some money but nothing's happened yet, so I'm safe. You all make this look easy, and then again, I probably make what I do look easy as well, and most of the things I do I'm good at. I can be good at building guitars too... I hope. I've rushed none of this, I'm still chosing materials after 4 months!!!! So, as a guitar building newbie who wants his first guitar to be the perfect guitar (I already read a post where you all agreed it won't be) : Should I be doing this?

alot of guys heremade a very nice first guitar...i did not,but it was playable.

only you know if you have the skill...what is the most complicated woodwork you havedone?most pieces of a guitar are simple enough if taken one at a time...i think you CAN do it...but it is not likely...the odds are against you...mahogany and walnut are at least easy to work...

I prefer to play my first build over the others. I even like it better than my '88 US made strat. I did not use templates and made my router cuts by building fences along the way. I did it bass-ackwards as I made CAD drawings when finished. The trick is to have a good idea of what you want to do and what has to be done to do it! :D Then you can forge ahead and actually DO something. There is no rush but there ARE certain rules that should be followed to get a nice looking, balanced, fully playable and enjoyable guitar.

Oh yeah, just so all of you super creative people can know what I have in mind....

Explorer body - 1 1/4" honduran mahogany with 1/2" black walnut top (uncarved/unbeveled)

25.5" scale 24 fret maple neck w/ gaboon ebony fretboard and stainless frets, ??"-16" compound radius.

Schaller tuners

Set neck construction, probably a deep tenon.

80's vintage Kahler 2300 series, brass cam brass rollers.

Undecided on nut material

Switchcraft jack and switch

Hum - Hum pickup configuration, probably going with a Bare Knucle Pickup for the bridge if not both positions.

2 volume, 1 tone.

Undecided on inlays, I'm leaning towards no inlays and just side markers.

i would use a floyd locking nut with the kahler trem...

and you can order a preslotted,preradiused compound board from lmii if i remember right.10" to 16",which matches the floyd nut and the kahler you can set to whatever radius you want

it is extremely important to have the fretboard perfect before installing ss frets...plus that will save you a bunch of money in tools and such...because making a fretboard involves alot of specialized tools

If you have the common sense, some skills, and a good brain, then the only thing you will have to combat is:

PATIENCE. She be a mighty force, that.

Patience as your foe will have you making mistakes where you didn't have to and starting over, or patience as your friend will guide you thru the dark times with success and confidence.

Patience wins the day when you're trying to make the first one count big.

You've been working with wood since you were 14? Well, then there's no question about it, you can do this. And if your skill level is that high, then you should be able to get a pretty good guitar out of it. With your experience, I'm guessing you already know about the patience part. Most of the rest of building a guitar is based on templates (whether you buy them or make them) and the center line.

Some of the more technical parts can be handled by others-- the fret slots and radiusing for example. And finishing is pretty difficult too, but maybe you already know how to do that.

But if I can build a guitar, anyone can.

Don't try to solve all of your problems in advance. Make yourself available for your opportunities. If you try to envision the entire guitar and every little step along the way, the project will seem impossible, too complicated, beyond your ability, and just plain too risky to even start.

Make a drawing. Make a template. Cut some rough blanks to size. Buy a truss rod. Anything! Just take that first step to break out of this willy nilly mode. Once you begin the project, everything will become clear and take focus. Just take it in small pieces.

If you're not familiar with doing your own set-ups on your guitars, it would be a big advantage to learn that now. This will help you in untold ways during the build process and of course finally getting your new guitar to play and sound right.

It's not that hard if you go slowly, take one step at a time and keep your focus by not getting ahead of yourself.

We look forward to great things from you even on your first attempt!

You have the ideas and the bug. That's the first step. I thought about and planned and looked at my wood blank for a year before I made my first wood chip. After that much thinking, you are already in ankle deep. While most people do not make a perfect guitar their first time, it can be done. The most mistake seem to happen with finishing, and since you do that at work it shouldn't be too bad for you. I would definitely say go for it. The worst that happens is you have a very nice guitar that is still what you wanted and should still sound better than most of the stuff at GC. I would buy the compounded fretboard since it is very difficult to make without the proper tools for it which are rather expensive. If you have a luthier willing to help out, have him help you with any work you still have to do on the board, and difinitely have him do the fret work. The tools alone will cost as much as a mid-level Les Paul.

Just take your time with it. The best advice I got off this board that helped me a ton was this. When things start going badly, stop immediately for the day. Give yourself time to cool off and think things through. You might lose work time, but you won't destroy anything either. Once one thing goes wrong you'll get frustated and lose concentration and make more mistatkes. So it is much better to just stop. I also found keeping a big hammer and some scrap 2x4's around helped me calm down as well.

The woodworking experience will help you lots. I got my plans off ebay £8, $15 I made sure that if after researching a particular aspect of building e.g. "how to cut the neck pocket" and I still couldn't get my head around it, then I would not start it, only when I understood it and it was clear in my mind did I got ahead.

Patience is the key word as allready mentioned, I was well pleased with my first build, as were my mates.