Beginner's 2nd Guitar

Geo

Hi. I'm a beginner. This is my second electric guitar. The body is poplar, with a spruce top. I had intended to put some kind of hardwood top on it, but I used some spruce that I had lying around instead. Then I decided to do a little cavity and soundhole. I haven't started the neck at all yet. I'm hoping LMI will get some more cheap neck blanks in stock (walnut or sapele mahogany).

This is basically a "practice build". I have a long way to go, and I'm also limited in power tools (table saw, jigsaw, hand-held drill). But, I am addicted. I hope to get a router sometime soon; I would like to attempt a set-neck. Me010.jpg

More pictures:

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/Georder/

Thanks for taking a look! Any comments (+ or - :D) are welcome.

Hi. I'm a beginner. This is my second electric guitar. The body is poplar, with a spruce top. I had intended to put some kind of hardwood top on it, but I used some spruce that I had lying around instead. Then I decided to do a little cavity and soundhole. I haven't started the neck at all yet. I'm hoping LMI will get some more cheap neck blanks in stock (walnut or sapele mahogany).

This is basically a "practice build". I have a long way to go, and I'm also limited in power tools (table saw, jigsaw, hand-held drill). But, I am addicted. I hope to get a router sometime soon; I would like to attempt a set-neck. Me010.jpg

More pictures:

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/Georder/

Thanks for taking a look! Any comments (+ or - :D) are welcome.

seems like a lot of space between the pickups... how did you measure out your scale length without a neck or a drawing?

unfortunately it does look like you may have not taken bridge placement into consideration...but if it is just a practice body then it isn't the end of the world...

my first guitar i did with a dremel...freehand...so you can imagine what it looked like before pickup rings and cover plates.

Thanks for the replies.

There is no problem with the pickup spacing, bridge placement or scale length. I have a full-sized drawing (I wouldn't attempt without it!) I just thought I'd put the neck pickup right at the end of the fingerboard. The bridge will butt up right against the bridge pickup.

Is it difficult to do inlays with a router (as opposed to a dremel tool)? Just curious.

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

There is no problem with the pickup spacing, bridge placement or scale length. I have a full-sized drawing (I wouldn't attempt without it!) I just thought I'd put the neck pickup right at the end of the fingerboard. The bridge will butt up right against the bridge pickup.

Is it difficult to do inlays with a router (as opposed to a dremel tool)? Just curious.

Thanks.

you really don't want to butt the bridge pup right up against the bridge, you generally want 3/4" space or more between the bridge pickup and the bridge, its gonna probably not have much volume, and be trebly as hell... in my opinion, you got ahead of yourself when you routed the pickup routes, its a good idea to have your bridge already laid out, drilled etc, before routing pickups and the likes... and to lay out your bridge, its always a good idea to actually have the neck....

you really don't want to butt the bridge pup right up against the bridge, you generally want 3/4" space or more between the bridge pickup and the bridge, its gonna probably not have much volume, and be trebly as hell... in my opinion, you got ahead of yourself when you routed the pickup routes, its a good idea to have your bridge already laid out, drilled etc, before routing pickups and the likes... and to lay out your bridge, its always a good idea to actually have the neck....

I don't know about "getting ahead of myself". Also, I did not route the pickup cavities, I cut them with a jigsaw before laminating the body pieces. I don't have a router.

I will consider moving the bridge back. I might lose one fret, but that wouldn't be a big deal. I know a single coil would be bad that close to the bridge, I guess it didn't occur to me that a humbucker might be that bad. Also, the bridge I will be using has space between the edge and the farthest adjustment of the saddles.

So, I guess sometimes it's a good thing NOT to have the neck yet. :D

Thanks.

You can't simply "move" the the bridge and then be done with it, that'd muck up your fret spacings, etc since you are changing the scale by moving the bridge. I think you need to start planning more before you jump in, you know, the ol' look before you leap deal. It'll save a bunch of trouble down the road. Let us hope I'm not too late...

Edited by Lord-of-the-strings

I dont think its to close, my strats single coil is 1/2" from where the bridge starts, assuming hes using a similar style of bridge.

one thing about using a neck before routing the pickups is you can make sure the pocket/neck/nut/bridge are all perfectly aligned(especially important when your new!)

Thanks for the comments.

Please don't get the wrong impression: I planned this guitar totally on paper before I started building it.

My mistake was, I didn't realize the bridge pickup needed to be spaced away from the bridge. So, thanks to

those who pointed that out.

I will move the entire scale length about half an inch. I may also do a longer scale length. I was going to do 25",

but maybe I'll do 25 1/4" or something. I don't think the body will interfere with changing this. And, since I

haven't started the neck at all, I can still do whatever scale length I want.

Thanks again! :D