My fretboard

goat

:D My fretboard is slotted already.

I plan on going a little wider than finished dimension for sanding.

Can I cut the sides(the taper from nut to 24 th fret) on the table saw or should I use the band saw?.....I don`t know if it will tear the wood at the slots??

Maybe masking tape over the board first???? B)

You can but you risk chipping depending on the blade you have and the speed of the saw itself. I would definately mask and ty a pass further away then your intention the first time to see how the wood will react.

If it's Maple or Rosewood you should be ok...............

if you are cutting on a bandsaw I don't know why it would chip on the fret slots unless you have a really crappy bandsaw blade. I generally cut them almost to size so there is minimal sanding left to do. The blade on a bandsaw is cutting downwards, so long as your piece of wood is tight against the surface it shouldn't chip at all.

I mount mine, then cut them to the neck's profile

Yeah,that`s what I was going to do but I`m making a neck-thru-body guitar and the higher frets will be over the body section of the neck,which is wider than my fret board.(I laminated a wide three piece neck blank to start with)

I marked the tapered sides of the masked fretboard and used double sided tape on a 1/2" thick x 2 1/2"w x 30" long, straight piece of stainless with a machined edge.I stuck the ebony board on top of that with the edge ligning up along the straight edge and ran it down the band saw.It worked great....

...except there are no teeth left on my bandsaw :D J/K

My fretboard is now tapered and ready for gluing.

Thanks for the help everyone. B)

I mount mine first then lay the neck fingerboard side down and cut it as close to the neck as I can then finish it up on the belt sander

"Yeah,that`s what I was going to do but I`m making a neck-thru-body guitar and the higher frets will be over the body section of the neck,which is wider than my fret board.(I laminated a wide three piece neck blank to start with)"

Is there an echo in here here :D

Its glued up.I`ll take the clamps off tomorrow.

I put masking tape over the truss rod to keep glue out.Just as I applied the glue,my neighbor comes up to talk to me about borrowing something.I told him I was busy but lost concentration anyway and put fretboard over tape.I took it up right away and removed tape ,but now the glue is on the fingerboard.I wiped it as best I could,but man what a hassle.So I probably won`t be able to remove the truss rod very easily in the future. B)