Ebony Becoming Rarer?

I was reading on LMI that standard ebony is going to become harder to get and more expensive.

Also Stew-Macs preslotted board seamed more expensive to me.

anyone know if there is alot of truth to this?

I like using the solid black boards and according to LMI I'll have to start using dye in the board, and that I dont really want to do..

It's true; ebony, true, properly black ebony, is getting harder and harder to source, and the prices keep going up. Some of the spanish places still do great wood at great prices (14 dollars for a top-grade ebony board), but it's pretty darn green, and none of it is stuff I would want to use within the next year or two at least (ebony is about the least stable wood I've used for fingerboards). It's still available, but the prices are rising. I'm almost tempted to buy some blocks and resaw myself, but it's very, very expensive wood, there will always be a good amount of waste, etc.

<pulls a board from the trash and writes wes's name on it>

Ive got just the piece for you my friend :D

the dye doesnt come off in your hands, otherwise Gibson, Jackson, ESP, and any other major manufacturer would have bad reports going around the internerd about it. EVERY manufacturer uses dye.

i am serious though...i do like gray streaks...i think they look cool

you know...there is a such a thing as too much gray...but a board that is perfectly fine except would normally be dyed before use i would use in a heartbeat...without the dye.

but yeah...i got a dyed board from lmii for my beast and nothing has ever rubbed off

straight black ebony is boring imo

the grey (ghosts i like to call em) and the mac is what makes ebony at all interestng

on another note; iwas told that black (true black) hardware is becoming extinct?

something about an ingredient in the dye that has really bad emissions or something?

theyre will be lots around for quite a while but supposedly they'll be the new gold;

the black is being replaced by a gun barrel type of black; prolly unnoticable from a few feet away.

OK, that black hardware thing is absolutely absurd. Damn EU regs! (not that I use much black hardware, but if I did, it would likely be Gotoh, which is the stuff affected! Hopefully other webstores/local sources aren't quite as up on shipping regs...ahem.

As for ebony, 'real' black ebony has grey streaks. Macassar has brown.

I also prefer my ebony with a little grey streaking, mind you my favorite is ziracote and thats almost completely grey/brown with black streaks. The ebony darkens off after a while anyway.

I like mac ebony but have real problems with the dust