Walk me through this now...

canuckguitarist

I just went the chepest and easiest route and used the mic input on my sound card, some free softwear (from total guitar) and then got a mic and layered all the instruments using the mic or the line out on the amps(or a mixture of both). Of course, this is the bear minimum route, there is a lot more better ways...

the fastest and easiest way to go would probably be buy a digital studio.. they're getting pretty cheap these days and the effects are pretty decent, zoom korg and roland all make fairly good studio's to start out with.

Guest AlexVDL

I use software (voyetra, cubases, cakewalk etc) to record audio and edit midi. So first I made midi drums and bass tracks, and added some audio guitars later. The midi drums and bass are sounds from the soundcard.

I use my Soundblaster Live soundcard to record. I usually use my Digitech preamp to plug my guitar into, and connect it to the line-in of the soundcard.

You could also use a POD or v-amp etc.

That's all you need to get some nice recordings. Not very pro, but it sounds ok. It could sound like this

:D

Aaron,

What's your budget.....?

Coen, I'm thinking somewhere around $500-700 US for EVERYTHING. I was kinda thinking about one of those multi-track recorders (zoom or similar) and then use a synth and drum machine on my computer.

Alex, hahaha, I guess it could sound like that. Only I'd have to learn to play as well as you first! **** thats awesome!

Coen, I'm thinking somewhere around $500-700 US for EVERYTHING. I was kinda thinking about one of those multi-track recorders (zoom or similar) and then use a synth and drum machine on my computer.

i don't know about other stations but the zoom ones come with a built in drum machine complete with touch pads so you can make your own beats, but it comes with 170+ patterns you can mix and match for a song

ps..... that's pretty cool alex :D

i personally got a boss BR532...for about £300 which is cheap

its got four tracks for recording onto with a maximum of 8 takes for each track..so you can pick which sounds better with the rest..also it has many drum tracks,which you can cut up and stick together to make your own and of course it has the wonderful COSM effects...i just plug it straight into my stereo.

get cakewalk sonar 2.0 ($299 approx.) an interfacer, tascam makes a cool one for 199. then a mic, shure sm-57 is like $140 at most places. then you're set.

p.s. prices are estimates, may be more or less depending on vendor.

canuck, I have this recorder and it works out fine. I paid $300 US for it, but the one in the picture comes with other stuff as well. With this recorder, it is easy to transfer your stuff to a computer and you can use any software you like. To transfer it, all you have to do is to connect a USB cable to the computer and it shows up as another hard drive. Anyway, if you got this, all you would have to do is get a drum machine. Also, it has eight tracks, which is a lot more than you might usually get for the price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=03...l/base_id/89991

hey canack

i think McFeely's idea is the best way to go. i have a friend that bought a Boss BR532 and he just uses it as recording interface, then he transfers it on to PC where he mixes it in Sonar, i think that is stupid - stupid in the fact that he wasted about AU$1000 on the Boss 4 track that he doesn't even use to it's full capacity, and for the same price he could get better equipment for cheaper too.

he should have just bought a wicked sound card [e.g. Creative Audigy 2] that you can connect your axe to so you record straight on to your hard drive w/ Sonar. and a mic [e.g. Shure PG-58] same way as axe. he can't play drums so he uses a drum maching [e.g. FruityLoops] and the drums go straight into Sonar.

digital is the way of the future my friend, it covers all the following criterias: high quality, affordability, ultra fast access and production. <--- even the pros do it this way now. this should help man. i studied recording equipment 6 months ago. :D

Page.