Been Away For A While But Look What I Have

Welp ive been away from the board for a few months and have been doing other things. However this last weekend my father and I finished up my Duplicarver table we had in the works. This table is based on Mika's desing with some mods done to it. First off i didnt have money buy the big thick bars, so we made it as light as possible but as sturdy as possible. And let me be the first to tell you this thing s great. It balences perfect (dont remember who was the first one to use a brick to couter balence the router but your a genius.) Second, i built this thing so i could do complete duplicates. I think mika mainly made is for doing tops. I haven't got to play with it too much cause its been freezing outside, but the testing will come this weekend im sure. Its pitch black outside so i cant get any good pics tomarrow but i will post tomarrow.

HEY MAN!!! Its About time you got that thing done, rember Im first in line :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

If its pics you want its pics you shall recieve. All the metal on it is aluminmum besides the bars which are hardened steel i believe. The router holder is a 3/4 inch piece of aluminmum with a hold cut right in the center of it and then the front is cut with a wing nut and bolt going through it to tighten and hold the router. Reason why i made the router so i could move it up and down is just incase i need the bit to be long the then stylus. Stylus hold is also a piece of aluminum with a wing nut and bolt so i could move that up and down as well. The rod is 16mm rod, with pillow blocks. Here are pics, if there is a pick of something you want that i missed just let me know, id be happy to share how i built this thing. And btw myka, thanks for paving the way :D

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Oh and matt, you know you got first dibs lol. Pm me cause i still really want template of that killer V you started and then burned.

Sending PM, and man im impressed!! really that thing looks Great, lets tear up some wood :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Looking good dude. I was thinking about these the other day and I thought that it may be a good idea to have the stylus that follows the original pattern, the same shape as the cutter on the router. That way it would be an absolutely direct copy. I think that with a stylus like your pointy one, there is the posability of something going wrong.

I may very well be wrong, it just seemed like a good idea.

Anyway, welcome back dude :D

Looking good dude. I was thinking about these the other day and I thought that it may be a good idea to have the stylus that follows the original pattern, the same shape as the cutter on the router. That way it would be an absolutely direct copy. I think that with a stylus like your pointy one, there is the posability of something going wrong.

I may very well be wrong, it just seemed like a good idea.

Anyway, welcome back dude :D

I bought tons of diff stylus that are made the same exact size as the bit. I have large ones for doing basic shaping and smaller sizes for doing fine detail work. I bought the stylus from a company that actually makes duplicarving machines for guitars, and i bought there basic guitar bit set, there actually have even smaller ones lol. Heres a pic to show what i mean.

IMG_0115.jpg

Well got done messing around with it today. Now i have to design some type of clamping method. Here are the results of messing around

*note i know your seeing a piece of flamed maple get used as a test piece, but trust me this was an old neck from my last guitar, i messed it up and ive had it sitting around the house, final put it to use.*

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

The machine is definitely cool, but im not sure i like it. As i was moving this little stylus around i found myself saying, whats the point of this. Just cause im moving around a little stylus doesnt make me a guitar builder. Makes me feel like im cheating, with that said, im going to keep playing with the machine till it can do exact copies no problem. After that i dont know if i will be using it much, maybe just for templates or something.

Looks very nice, but... yeap always a but, I would suggest making the distance from the bar to the stylus and to the router longer! I really think you will find it more comfortable and balanced. plus the cutter will stay straighter in reference to the piece being routed. In the one you have by going up and down the neck will cut in an angle instead of straigt ... I hope you understand what I mean with this!

Interesting results, thanks for posting pictures. To me it looks a little messy. I know it was one of your first attempts using the machine, were you rushing at all? There seems to be quite a few deepish passes on the right half of the pic. The centre to left looks a lot cleaner :D Also, i could be totally wrong here, and i'm not sure if it would make much of a difference but i notice you routed length ways on the neck? Although i don't own or have never used a dupli-carver, from any videos of seen with one in use they always tend to use small pass side to side over the profile.

We tried going fast, slow, up and down, and left to right. It seemed to work best to start on the outside and go up and down all the way over to the otherside. Also there are some deep cuts cause we were playing around with the depth of the router vs stylus and just really seeing what it all could do.

And maiden do you mean make the distence between the router and the stylus longer apart, or keep them where they are at and just extend the whole piece, and a person walking a tight rope with that long pole thing.