Rg-8 Fanned

RGGR

yep, i think we should go with geometrically perverse... sounds much more interesting.

Its called compound because you have two angles to take into consideration, like with a compound radius fretboard you have two radii, radiuses... whatever, you get my meaning.

anyway, two angles... firstly the angle of the nut and then the headstock angle as well

I think erik did one recently like this. ( whoops, wrong on that one he has the ledge on his.. he has just entered it for GOTM)

i think i have seen something about doing this somewhere, maybe at MIMF or talkbass

I have the ledge on my fanned fret build but my scales were quite close so its not too bad

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well thats certainly one option... leave it oversized and use any means neccisary to cut it to the right shape.

but i know i have seen something somewhere about cutting a compound scarf join for this purpose - just wish i could remember where!!!

Its called compound because you have two angles to take into consideration.

Hence my reservation in this build. The compound headstock is a funny animal, and this geometrically perverse hurdle I still have to jump. Therefor will do simple mock-up with some scrap pieces to see how this all fits together.

With normal straight nut, the headstock angle of 14 degrees will flow straight from the nut.

With angular nut, the headstock angle will flow angular with the slope being angular too. :D

That's why this is such a great build.

*the damned fanned frets

*the necessasity of a custom fanned bridge

*the funky perverse headstock angle

Ever noticed that this guitar building thing is never ending story of finding solutions for unwanted problems. :D

Edited by RGGR

Just a geometric issue rather than an added benefit. If the headstock is angled and the nut is further back on the treble side, then the headstock has to be tilted in the direction of the bass side to remain flat with respect to the fingerboard. It's just two trigonometric calculations if you're working with angles but it's possible to use Pythagora's theorem if you measure by distance. Not that it makes it any easier to achieve. Just saying :-D

There will be a blindingly simple solution, just too obvious to see.

• 4 months later...