Exploder

okay..so it's about time to start posting progress pics

explorer%20001.jpg

http://westhemann.com/my%20music/pics/esp%...lorer%20002.jpg

http://westhemann.com/my%20music/pics/esp%...lorer%20003.jpg

http://westhemann.com/my%20music/pics/esp%...lorer%20004.jpg

okay...so two pics with flash,two without...yes i still have my second rate camera...don't worry,when i finish the guitar i will buy a new camera and upload high quality images

bubinga body...flame maple neck and fingerboard...ss frets...kahler 7300 trem...i have not made my mind up on the pickups yet...but the pups rggr posted in the rg 8 thread are now in my favorites...so i will probably use them,because the red rails will match the finish i am going to use

don't know what else to say yet...no i am not going to post images of the back yet...that is the best part and i am not going to spoil it

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no i am not painting over it...what i said was this was going to be the last natural finish i do.i did not buy $300 worth of flamed bubinga to paint over it.

duffman...you could not be more wrong...the body weighs 4 pounds....the body is smaller in every dimension than a true explorer...as well as being only 1 3/8" thick.the entire guitar when painted and assembled should be less than 8 pounds...the neck is very thin as well...

Ah, should be cool with the Kahler but is it that an exact Explorer shape or is it thinner around the waist. Or is it just me? :?

a builder should takeEVERYTHING into consideration...the body is smaller in every dimension than a true explorer...

i always build the neck first...i started doing that because i started on neck through guitars...

plus this neck is very special...it's a 9 piece laminate of flamed maple,walnut,and castillo...with a flamed maple fretboard and a bubinga veneer on the fron and back of the headstock,curling up the volute.

Looks great Wes!

I love figured bubinga. I don't think you were back yet when went through my bubinga phase this past summer....this slab yielded some killer tops I'll tell ya.

bubinga slab

Jeezus.... I remember when you first threw that pic up on here, I near pooped meself. Totally forgot about that huge piece of wood until now, too hahaha

But more on topic, the "Exploder" is coming along quite nice, but why choose to put a trem on it? I dunno if it's just me... oh wait, yeah it is, but something about an LP or Explorer or similar hardtail design with a trem on it strikes me as... nontraditional. I dunno, it's just a personal thing, not trying to rain on the parade, you want the trem there.

This build has got my attention, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out, especially the finish!

erik....that is awesome bubinga...the quilt is so large...but you might want to practice a different facial expression in the mirror,though it did make me laugh i admit.

maiden is right...i put that headstock on everything...so i only pick body styles it looks good with

xanthus...i put a trem on everything...just about anyway...but it is meant to be as non traditional as possible...notice the upper fret access?you won't find that on a gibson..

basically when i do a guitar "tribute"...i take the original shape and completely basdtardize it for better upper fret access,better balance,better hardware..whatever i think it needs...and i like a gibson explorer but i don't like the fixed bridge or the upper fret restriction...or the pickgaurd