Swirl Questions

jacob

hey everyone, i have a question (duh), how do i go about the swirl technique? i know the whole water prep with the borax and all, but im talking about, how do i actually dip my object that is to be swirled? is it done fast or slow? basicly, i need to know anything and everything outside of the swirl paint article on here.

why you may ask?

i am going to be finishing a few sculptures and my strat with this swirl paint job, im going for a good psychedelic feel to it.

so what are your thoughts, im sure there are many

thanks in advance,

Jacob Triffo

ok, so nobody has any idea on how to do a swirl? because ive done numerous searches and have only came up with a little knowledge outside of what i had.

for instance

what type of base coat should i use? would rustoliem rattle can work? after its primed of course? and will the oil paints stick to the acrylic im using for the sculptures?

seriouslty folks, any help/insight/thoughts will be helpful at this point

i did one on an rg i was refinishing, still havent completely finished that one there is an old thread on it somwhere here

easiest way i have found is have the paint on the waters surface and push it through, then clear paint away with newspaper and remove guitar, but make sure the guitar is very well sealed i mean VERY well sealed ie drip wax/push blutac into all screw holes and make sure your base coat is thick as

if ya dont clear the paint away when ya pull it out it adds another layer to it and gets more complex, which look a bit crap

ill dig up my thread with pics of said rg in it

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...63&hl=swirl

there ya go

edited for spelling

Edited by where's the beef???

I seem to remember seeing a kit for doing this sort of thing at our local craft supply store.

It was called marbling or marblizing or something like that.

I had some panels done a long time ago by a guy who painted wood to look like marble.

He started with a dark blue basecoat then painted veins into it using oil based paint, applied with the tip of a feather, next he flicked white spirit all over it and smudged it all about using a large very soft badger hair brush.

the whole thing was then coated in varnish after a couple of days drying time.

All the time he was painting he had a pint of beer in his left hand, said it was to balance out the weight of the feather ! all I know is that after doing 8- 8' x 4' panels the effect became much more random

ok, so i tried some test pieces today and i had problems, the paint seemed to just run right off the piece when i pulled it out of the water, so it prettymuch destroyed the swirl

i was just using standard rustoliem oil paint, and i put the maximum amount of borax in the water that would fit, and the paint spead out pretty quickly when i dropped it in. i didnt let the water set after i mixed the borax in, im not sure if that screwed anything, and i didnt use warm water, and the surface i was applying the swirl to wasnt flat or very smooth.

so, does anyone know what went wrong?

yea, i used black rustoliem spraypaint as a base, and i didnt really do much surface prep, no sanding really, and those oil paints are pretty cheap so maybe thats the problem...

i was thinking of just getting some good art grade stuff and trying that, i'll get it eventually i suppose, and my school's buying all the supplies so thats a plus.

Edited by jacob

yea, i used black rustoliem spraypaint as a base, and i didnt really do much surface prep, no sanding really, and those oil paints are pretty cheap so maybe thats the problem...

Maybe the oil paint won't stick to the smooth surface of your spray paint. Did you try scuff sanding the paint at about 220 grit before dipping it?

yea, see, thats the weird thing, the surface of it was actually really rough, its how the nylon (they're made with nylon stockings as a cover over a wire sculpture) reacted to the paint on it, and the weird part is the oil paint only kept the marbleized look on the really smooth parts, it was on the rough bits where it screwed up