Two Sf3s Almost Finished!

Two new ones shaping up here. Both customer guitars and both SF3s with bound fingerboards, Hipshot Baby Grand bridges, and Sperzel Locking tuners.

First is a flat top with one piece myrtle top and one piece redwood body. The neck is birdseye maple with bloodwood lams/fingerboard/ trim. 5.10 pounds.

jeffPreviewt.gif

The second is all black limba, east indian rosewood and chrome (wenge lam on body, maple lams on the neck). Pickups by Nordstrand! 6.25 pounds.

pagePreviewt.gif

:D

Thanks guys!

tim_ado, I never won GOTM with a bass, not sure who it is you are thinking of. The guitar is hollow and the electronics are run though the bridge pickup route.

Mickguard, yep zero-fret and little individual metal string guides VERY similar to what you linked to. These are solid stainless steel rivets though, still slotted with nut files.

Finished off the carved top, still waiting on a bridge from Hipshot for the flat top.

20fullFrontt.gif 19fullBackt.gif 18headstockFrontt.gif 17headstockBackt.gif

16fullFrontDt.gif 15heelt.gif 14bodyTopt.gif 11fingerboardt.gif

P.S. Not sure the rules about thumbnails, didn't see anything against it in the image posting guidelines and these together are probably 1/4 the size of a 640x480 jpg.

P.S. Not sure the rules about thumbnails, didn't see anything against it in the image posting guidelines and these together are probably 1/4 the size of a 640x480 jpg.

I much prefer thumbnails to links, they load just as fast and you get to choose what you want to look at closer. And of course your photography is awesome, just makes me WANT one of those guitars :D

I really like the carve at the edges, don't think I've ever seen that before.

I much prefer thumbnails to links, they load just as fast and you get to choose what you want to look at closer. And of course your photography is awesome, just makes me WANT one of those guitars :D

I really like the carve at the edges, don't think I've ever seen that before.

It's sort of a half ass archtop thing. Warrior does the recurve too (maybe not so tight as this).

When I saw those I said aloud "Siiiiick." And my girlfriend was like, "is that sick good or sick bad?" I replied, "Sick as in AWESOME." She agreed. :D

So now I've got a Myka Dragonfly, an SF3, and Mattia's headless as my dream guitars. :D

I'd be curious to know more about those filed rivets.

Greg

Thanks a lot everyone! I'm really happy with these guitars.

I'd be curious to know more about those filed rivets.

There's not a whole lot to tell. You can buy them from McMaster Carr in various sizes and types of metal. I use a normal nut file to put the slot in them then buff them on the wheel w/Menzerna to take off the burrs and polish the metal. I line up the holes with a stew mac fret ruler and drill them by hand with a little pen drill (?). They will stay in with string pressure but once I get the guitar setup I put a tiny dot of thick super glue on the tip of the rivet post and reinstall. The strings act as a clamp and hold them in the right position while drying.