Anybody Recognize This Guitar?

GregP

http://www.bboogie.com/Susan_Tedeschi.htm

It appears in other photos of her, too. I don't recognize it, and I wonder if it's a one-off or a signature model or something. I thought she famously played Telecasters, but this guitar is popping up all over the place, and man is it a beaut.

First off, that's a D'Angelico NYSD-9.

I don't know about the guitar. But blues in a cocktail dress? Just doesn't seem right.

I used to go to an open mike night in a jazz club in Amsterdam. You'd get all these conservatory kids getting up there with their sheet music. Made Sinatra sound like Tiny Tim. (think I'm showing my age with that one!)

I was at the Monterey jazz festival a while back and went to an interview with Dave Brubeck, right after his kids played. (By his kids I mean the band that he is teaching, he is very involved in jazz music education and now dedicates most of his time to a band of exceptionally talented youth who rotate in and out with age.) Someone asked him what it's like to teach such talent.

"It makes you want to break their little fingers." Then he laughed and talked about how amazed and humbled he us by the quality of the music these 12 year olds are playing. Not reciting, mind you, these kids are doing real improvisation and showing real soul, young sooul, but it's there anyhow. Amazing playing, makes me look like a fool and I think I'm pretty good, you know, if I'm in the groove.

The other great quote from the night was: "I'm a musician, which means I can't dance."

-Dave (not Brubeck)

Cool, thanks for finding out what that guitar is... seems like a nice guitar for the price! And it looks great in those pics with Tedeschi.

I visited her website, and there are some samples of her work... one heck of a voice! Derek Trucks played on at least one of the tracks in the "sample" batch, and is on 3 songs of her latest album.

I used to go to an open mike night in a jazz club in Amsterdam. You'd get all these conservatory kids getting up there with their sheet music. Made Sinatra sound like Tiny Tim. (think I'm showing my age with that one!)

Pfft, if they need sheet music, they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a jazz club. Now, if they were lead sheets, that's a different story... :D

The other great quote from the night was: "I'm a musician, which means I can't dance."

Sort of reminded me of another famous quote. When Stephen King was asked, "How do you think up such great horror material?"

Reply : "I have the heart of a little boy...in a jar...on my desk." :D

Edited by Southpa

Pfft, if they need sheet music, they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a jazz club. Now, if they were lead sheets, that's a different story... :D

+1. IMPROVISE! :D

Regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...