2nd Guitar! Mahogany Strat.

Hector

hey guys, today I started my 2nd guitar. It's a mahogany strat with glued on imbuia neck and ebony fretboard. I'm pretty sure this one will sound completely diferent than any other strat. What do you guys think It'll sound like? :D

here's some photos:

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p270/HKNguitars/Strat/

one more question, should I do the headstock flat like a fender or angled? how much? I know that for 3+3 anything between 10º/15º will work. what about 6 in line?

any comments and sugestions are always welcome!

:D

Hector!

Edited by Hector

I don´t know...If I were making strat, even though it´s mahagony, I would make the headstock with 0° angle.... But it is just my opinion... :D

I agree.

One question though, if you are sticking with the strat shape, it looks like you cut off a bit of where the neck fits in on the body. I'm not sure if that's enough room to fit the neck in.

I don´t know...If I were making strat, even though it´s mahagony, I would make the headstock with 0° angle.... But it is just my opinion... :D

I agree.

One question though, if you are sticking with the strat shape, it looks like you cut off a bit of where the neck fits in on the body. I'm not sure if that's enough room to fit the neck in.

Hey guys, I changed the shape a little bit to make it more comfortable to play.

The neck will have a very long tenon, that will be deep set into the body. It's gonna be a glued in neck.

I hope everything turns out ok!

thanks for all your comments.

Hector!

• 2 months later...

Looking damn good

A MAHOGANY Strat! A DEEP TENON Strat! Go you!

The way they should have been made all along...

I'm glad to see this isn't just a replica job. Keep it up!

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for that!

made some progress today, routed the truss rod channel, the control cavity and the cavity for the jack plate. also sanded the fingerboard (12" radius)

here's a mockup pic.

strat1002.jpg

more pics here

Edited by Hector

Still looking good, but I've got a question about the newest pic. What's that dark, conspicuous line on the fretboard? I hope it's not a booboo, thought if it was, I think you'd have informed the community :D

:D:DB)

lol! it's the shadow of the drill bit i used to keep the fingerboard in place when gluing.

you can see the holes in this pic strat009.jpg

I use that technique all the time!

Edited by Hector

Oooooooooooooooh...

Anyways, that's a good method of doing it. I was thinking about doing the tack/staple ends method, but that works too.

What's your method of tapering the fingerboard to size? I'm assuming something powered, a scroll saw, perhaps. I should track down someone who has one...

Oooooooooooooooh...

Anyways, that's a good method of doing it. I was thinking about doing the tack/staple ends method, but that works too.

What's your method of tapering the fingerboard to size? I'm assuming something powered, a scroll saw, perhaps. I should track down someone who has one...

yeah! i use a tablesaw, and then, i tape some sandpaper in a flat surface, and sand sand sand...

today I glued the fingerboard on, and shaped the neck.

here's a pic strat2005.jpg

new pics here

Edited by Hector

Nice work so far hector. B) How did you get such tight corners on the neck pocket ? Did you use the Stewart-Mac pickup cavity router bit (used to get the tighter corners on their pickup cavity templates) ? Or, did you use chisels ? Or some other method ?

thanks a lot man. I just used a regular woodcraft router bit, I guess the corners seems tighter in the pics. :D

I should get the stewmac pickup cavity ones, because the ones I use are a bit large. when routing the pickup cavity I have to use a chisel to make it right.

Hey Hector, I had a quick question about this build. What did you decide on for the headstock, neck angle or no? Reason being I'm thinking about getting a Stewmac Fender-type fretboard, but I also want my headstock to be angled. My gut instinct says that a headstock angle won't work with a fender nut because of the extra space at the end of the fretboard, behind the nut, unless it were shaved down. I just didn't know what your final decision was.

Hey Hector, I had a quick question about this build. What did you decide on for the headstock, neck angle or no? Reason being I'm thinking about getting a Stewmac Fender-type fretboard, but I also want my headstock to be angled. My gut instinct says that a headstock angle won't work with a fender nut because of the extra space at the end of the fretboard, behind the nut, unless it were shaved down. I just didn't know what your final decision was.

hey xanthus, I did both :D I did it fender style, but with a little angle, very little (just a 3mm diference) i don't like string retainers but I didn't wanna lose the fender look, so I made a little experimet. well see if this works, probably not, but we'll see when I put the strings.

on the next one I will be more bold and try a larger angle.

if you choose to buy stew mac fretboard you can always cut off the extra wood and make it work.

let me know what you decide and post your progress here!

Hmm... know what? I've been playing on a 25" scale for years now, so I might as well stick with what feels good. I'll be able to buy a fretboard, use a Gibson nut, and have a neck angle. It seems to have worked for me over the past years, heh.

I agree with you, I don't like string trees either, but I dunno, I'm crossing my fingers that you don't end up with any problems. 3mm is pretty small, after all. If anything, you might want to get a Floyd Rose string retainer. I think it looks better than the individual Fender string retainers. I'm not sure how well string retainers work on tremolos, though. Hmm.