Red Oak Body

Oak is a perfectly OK tonewood. I have used it for two necks and they are all fine. One is even finished in oil. That neck is pretty rought to the feel but otherwise fine. My experience is that in necks the tone is somewhere in between mahogany and maple.

One of the members mentioned about a month ago that he had success with oak but it was from 100+ year old wood. He mentioned it was very stable at that point and better quality in grain than what you normally find. So, if its a good piece that you've got, go for it!

newbass017.jpgThis is a bass that I made out of oak.I have also made an SG and am in the process of making a Thinline Tele with an oak back and a maple cap.Tone on the bass is very good and the SG sounds excellent.Really tough wood to grainfill and sanding the endgrain is a challenge but is worth the effort.I would glue up the blank and let it sit for a while because no matter how dry it may check badly