Piezo's and Floyds?

Drak

Not to topic-hijack, but I wanted to ask this question more clearly (for me anyway)

Does anyone make a piezo Floyd, or can you replace the saddles on a Floyd w/ piezo saddles, and has anyone here done it, and what is the best system out there to use?

I would be very interested in doing this if it can be done. Extra routing don't bother me none... :D

I haven't installed any piezo systems yet, but I had plans to do one pretty soon, and figured I was relegated to using a TOM guitar to get the job done, but I'd like to put one on a Floyd if it can be done successfully.

Thanks!

You're better off buying an old(er) Ibanez Double Edge equipped guitar (RG-6-CST, S-6-CST, 2020x, 620x, etc.), and transplanting the trem and preamp from that. It's the only double-locking system ever made. Ibanez does not sell the Double Edge system individually.

WARNING: There are a bunch of very sensitive wires in that Double Edge system. Take EXTREME caution when working on/removing them. You could damage something and not even realize it. Oh yeah, and screwing with it will void your warranty. (Isn't that what this site is about- voiding your warranty as quickly as possible? LOL)

If you need any help with wiring the Double Edge, or pulling one out, feel free to contact me.

Who am I? I'm the guy that drew the wiring diagram that Ibanez sends out to people. :-)

No, I mean on these boards. The FR copyright is up AFAIK and Ibanez wouldn't be owed a thing because mo omes copying their trem exactly.

The FR *patent* has expired, but the copyrights and trademarks are still owned, which means they could, potentially, get paid....depending on what you guys come up with, and what's used in advertising/marketing.

They're not the only trems with piezos.

You're right- there are a few piezo-equipped trems out there, but L.R. Baggs and Hoshino came up with the only double-locking one.

If the designs here are ultra-different than what's currently out there, then consider filing for design and utility patents (about $7,000 to $10,000, or more) come up with a product name and get that copyrighted and trademarked (about another $3000). Then there's materials (say about $1000), and your shop time (figure $70/hr.) Cheap, eh? :-)

Unless your design is *way* different than the LR/Hoshino design, you might end up paying royalties....if you sell them to the public. If you do them as a "one off" or "one for a friend", they probably won't hassle you.

I was thinking about this and I figured

1) Make it copy left

2) Making it only available to Project Guitar Members

3) Asking for money only for parts (maybe ask Brian to handle the money because he's probably the most trusted here)

4) It's only an idea. It may never actually happen but it would be cool to see something hard and real coming from Project Guitar.

There seems to be a lot of people wanting piezo FR's (I want a 7 string one) so there would be the want for them. And I'm not talking about copying a folyd rose exactly. Kind of a Lo-Pro, Edge, OFR, Wilkonson, Kahler trem combo monster.

I was thinking about this and I figured

1) Make it copy left Not sure what that means

2) Making it only available to Project Guitar Members no opinions on this one really

3) Asking for money only for parts (maybe ask Brian to handle the money because he's probably the most trusted here) Yup, Brian seems like the proper candidate

4) It's only an idea. It may never actually happen but it would be cool to see something hard and real coming from Project Guitar. yes! that would be awesome! It would be OUR trem!

There seems to be a lot of people wanting piezo FR's (I want a 7 string one) so there would be the want for them. And I'm not talking about copying a folyd rose exactly. Kind of a Lo-Pro, Edge, OFR, Wilkonson, Kahler trem combo monster. wow.... :D

Copyleft is kinda the opposite of copyright. It becomes public property and nobody can legally sell it as per the plans (whenever we make them). But I think there's quite a few people on here that want piezos in FR's so I think it'd be a nice idea. Just keep it extremely simple but very cool!!