Car Bodyworks

Sc0tty

Hey, i am in the finishing off process on my first project guitar and i am going to try and get the body painted by car body painters. I am doing this because i want a top notch finish and i am pretty dire with paintin stuff. Do you think it will turn out OK n all or will it be a bad move?

Ash

Hey, i am in the finishing off process on my first project guitar and i am going to try and get the body painted by car body painters. I am doing this because i want a top notch finish and i am pretty dire with paintin stuff. Do you think it will turn out OK n all or will it be a bad move?

Ash

Depends on the shop, I guess. I took my first refinish to a body shop for clear coating. The guy did a good job spraying, but the outcome wasn't that great because I didn't do the prep work right. Keep in mind, too, that you will need to level and buff the finish once you get it back, and auto paints are much more difficult to buff than nitro.

ok cheers, i have a pretty good buffer so il probably do that

Ash

good luck. Remember to get the prep work perfect before you give them the guitar, and you should be fine. Also, for levelling and polishing, I would consider some micromech sandpaper. I've never used it myself, but I hear it cuts faster, doesn't load up as much, and leaves finer scratches than automotive sandpaper. Levelling was a real chore on the guitar I had sprayed by a bodyshop, so anything to make the process easier is well worth the money.

One thing to remember is that a level finish on a lot of cars is still considered orange peel in the guitar community.

This is partly true.

The role of any good spray painter is to match up the finish (not just matching colour but also the amount of peel)

to whatever is required . The repaired area must match the vehicles factory specs or the rest of the vehicle.

If they know their onions they should be able to give you the finish you ask of them, peel or no peel.

cheers, Stu