Tele-rite/mose-caster

n1.jpg

Just started my second build today, the body shape is basically a Telecaster + Mosrite. I originally drew it up with a melody maker style pickgaurd and 2 pickups, but now I have decided I am going to go sans pickgaurd and use rear routed control cavity. I plan on using a maple/rosewood neck, and I am going to get all gold hardware and 1 gold lipstick pickup from Guitar Fetish. Haven't decided on a color yet, perhaps white (either a stark white, or a vintage white/cream) or a light blue.

Body is a pine core and will have a poplar top and back like my first build.

Looks pretty sharp, thus far :D Keep it up!

With the gold hardware, might I suggest a dark type of red? Dakota Red comes to mind, maybe a little darker.

And since you mention your first build, I take it you had no problems with the pine core? Some people would get a stern talking-to mentioning softwoods on this forum :D hahaha. How does the pine sound, being both a softwood and a semihollow? I'm curious.

i have no qualms about using pine... the early fenders were pine, and this theres niche market for pine telecasters ive seen. i like to use the economy wood just to see that cheap wood can sound fine. plus id hate to ruin a 50 or 75 dollar alder blank. anyways my first guitar had a 1 inch thick pine core similar to above, with a 3/8" top and back. it was hollow in the center though, here is a pic of the core of my first project:

m8.jpg

that guitar sounds pretty good in my opinion... although for my first project I used extremely cheap parts, so the pickups are really microphonic and not the best sounding. but unplugged, the body is very resonant. not so much an acoustic/volume resonance, but tha tyou can jsut really feel the vibration of the strings through the whole body. i think using the pine which isnt dense compared to hardwood, as well as the hollow construction contributed well to the warm resonance of the body.

this guitar I plane to use jsut 1/4" top and back for a final thickness of 1.5", which is part of the reason i chose a solid center block, just to keep some extra weight in the body (im afraid to make ti too light). i think it will still maintain a similar quality of resonance since the top and back will be thinner than the previous guitar. it will be interesting to see how it turns out, although i am confident it shoudl eb rpetty good. when im all done with this one, ill record some sound clips

looking cool but i think it definately need a scratchplate to add a bit of visual interest, not sure if you were planning one anyway. I would go with black plastic in a similar style to a tele custom - or maybe something more danelectro inspired

well I have the body made and I am starting to do the finish. it isnt lookn pretty yet but hopefully ill get it there

n3.jpg

Damn, that would look great as a carved top! I just might have to steal your design.

Oh, and +1 on the scratchplate. Looking great!

thanks man. i never thought of it in a carve top, i dont have the skill to do that, but if you do, you totally should! i bet it would be really cool!

if you want to know how I arrived at the body shape, I basically copied the shape of this sorta strat knock off, in reverse, adjusted slighty and made the upper nonhorn like a tele

http://www.rondomusic.net/si13.html

let me know if you end up making it, i bet it would be awesome

Welp, it has been completed!

n6.jpg

The Tele-rite (until I ever think of a better name)

Wilkinson Deluxe Kluson Style Tuners

Tusq Nut

Flame Maple Neck w/ Rosewood Fretboard f/ Stewmac

GFS Lipstick Tube Pickup (4.6k winding)

GFS Toplaod hardtail bridge

Gold Hardware

Poplar/Pine/Poplar sandwich semihollow flattop body (1.5" thick)

Ivory white satin finish