Finish For Purpleheart.

AXofBSR

I just bought some purpleheart and I'm going to be building a Neck-Thru guitar with a Carvin neck... I was wondering what kind of finish I should use on the Purpleheart. I want something slightly darker to bring out the color and give it a nice glossy finish...

YOU do realize that purple heart turns brown with age?

mk

I just bought some purpleheart and I'm going to be building a Neck-Thru guitar with a Carvin neck... I was wondering what kind of finish I should use on the Purpleheart. I want something slightly darker to bring out the color and give it a nice glossy finish...

YOU do realize that purple heart turns brown with age?

mk

From what I've read, If you let it cure long enough and then finish it correctly, the color will hold...

Not s'much. Seems to depend on the piece of purpleheart; some turns brown, some stays very purple, even unfinished. There's a bright purple board at my local wood yard (sample piece, not for sale), unfinished, that's still fantastically purple. And then there's another (also sample) that's very brown indeed.

Purpleheart seems quite oily/waxy so all i've ever done on it before glueing is to wipe it down with acetone to remove surface oils which might cause adhesion problems. I'd be tempted to grain fill it with epoxy or black CA (did a test on mahogany today - awesome) sand and then finish with whatever you want.

Anyone got any further info on the oil content of PH?

Just a little food for thought: concensus on the MIMF (among other places) on gluing cocobolo - oily wood by definition - is that failures are more likely when wiping than when just planing and going straight to glue-up. Several members reported joint failures after wiping that went away when they stopped wiping away resins.

Acetone will help get the board less oily on the surface it is wiped on. But one will need to remove the chemical from the board. After leaving some Acetone in Padauk, I realized that it leaves a really white look to the board. So that leads me to believe that this is what effects the gluing issues. Personally, I have never had an issue gluing Cocobolo, Wenge, or Purpleheart.

I can't see how acetone (being a high volatile hydrocarbon) would "stay" in the wood unless it was under pressure or kept from volatilising to the atmosphere. In my opinion, the chances are that the whiteness is from the padauk's natural oils being leeched out of the wood by the acetone onto the rag or whatever was used with wipe the wood.

Interesting....I hope somebody more knowledgable than myself can shed some light on this, more because out of interest than anything else!

As far as finishing PH goes (as per the original question!) a lot of stock seems to be put into "UV resistant" finishes, although I don't think these will be a guaranteed purple-forever solution. I personally would use Tru-oil to seal the pores, plus it would gloss up the wood nicely. For clear finishes, I would grain fill the wood black first to highlight the pore structure.

I read somewhere that if you put a coat of ArmorAll on the wood before you finish it that it will retain it's color... Also, I have no problem with refinishing once or twice a year... maybe even once a month if really necessary...

armour all is a sure bet to ruin your guitars

I read somewhere that if you put a coat of ArmorAll on the wood before you finish it that it will retain it's color... Also, I have no problem with refinishing once or twice a year... maybe even once a month if really necessary...

armour all is a sure bet to ruin your guitars

I agree! Armour all is a bad idea. From what I understand, it is liquid silicone. I used to to pinstriping & custom paint work on cars & bikes. Customers would use it on thier tires, and sometimes even on the car body itself. Paint will not stick to a surface with armour all on it.

Ive never had a hard time with purpleheart Glueups or color loss :D I love purpleheart, It puts out great Tone

I know there is a few people on this forum that Hate the stuff (wes for one :D ) But thats just personal preference

Im working with some Purpleheart right now for an 8-string Im building and as normal all is going well, there are some things to watch out for! purplehear is Very hard on tools and Blades, also sanding can be a real pain in the back side but all in all its great stuff

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Ive never had a hard time with purpleheart Glueups or color loss :D I love purpleheart, It puts out great Tone

I know there is a few people on this forum that Hate the stuff (wes for one :D ) But thats just personal preference

Im working with some Purpleheart right now for an 8-string Im building and as normal all is going well, there are some things to watch out for! purplehear is Very hard on tools and Blades, also sanding can be a real pain in the back side but all in all its great stuff

!!METAL MATT!! B)

What kind of finish do you use? Somebody said something about UV resistant... would that work? Also the reason it's so bad on blades and such is because of it's density which is the same reason that it sounds so great...

Ive never had a hard time with purpleheart Glueups or color loss B) I love purpleheart, It puts out great Tone

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Totally....and any tearout you get is legendary! Six days in the bandsaw, two days on the router table and the rest of the year being sanded :D

• 2 weeks later...

From my past experience, glue purple heart as normal, dont wipe it with anything. Titebond 1 works great and Ive never had any problems with joints coming undone. As far as finish and grain filling: grain fill with epoxy, dont bother staining, and dont use minwax poly. One guitar I made I sprayed with component poly and its still great, nice bright purple and all. The other guitar I have I wiped on Minwax Gloss poly and its turning brown and the finish is cracking from shrinking.

front_body_1.jpg

Mike

From my past experience, glue purple heart as normal, dont wipe it with anything. Titebond 1 works great and Ive never had any problems with joints coming undone. As far as finish and grain filling: grain fill with epoxy, dont bother staining, and dont use minwax poly. One guitar I made I sprayed with component poly and its still great, nice bright purple and all. The other guitar I have I wiped on Minwax Gloss poly and its turning brown and the finish is cracking from shrinking.

Mike

What kind of epoxy? I've worked with several types and I don't know which one to use with wood? Also do you have a brand name on that component poly?

Edited by AXofBSR

• 2 weeks later...