Cheap inexpensive wood for bodies?

I can get just about any kind of hardwood here in NY state but Alder. I asked the guy at the lumber yard about it and he said that they ould have to order some outrageous amount of it due to the min. order from their supplier. It's a bummer since that's the one wood I would most likely use most often.

I usually get my body blanks from exoticwoods.com (for woods I can't get locally). They are good for body blanks but I've had some trouble with their figured wood.

Yeah, $15 total for a slab of Honduras Mahogany, about 1 3/4" thick, 10"x17", cut the wings out (with one wing flipped to maximize the amount of space on the wood) and have clamped and glued them to my Carvin neck-thru black, and sanded it all down to a smooth finish. The tone is great, extremely resonant. Wood is wood and ebay is a great place to grab some wood inexpensively.

.....Wood is wood and ebay is a great place to grab some wood inexpensively.

i duno about that.... i try to look for a good flat sawn or quatersawn when ever possible, and i like to hold it in my hands and eye the peice of wood myself to inspect it for warps and knots.. anyone else the same way.... or am i just wasting to much time trying to pick out wood??

BTW  of course i was kidding about balsa...although big sheets of it are v.expensive and it is classed as a hardwood despite being so soft.

The terms hardwood and softwood actually have nothing to do with how hard or soft the wood is. Softwoods come from evergreen trees and hardwoods come from deciduous. (I just learned that from studying for my architectural boards)

-Sven