Home Recording Setups

Dazed

So I see the guitar and amp setup threads so I figured this would help complete the picture :D

What is everyone using for home recording?

I use a DigiDesign MBox with Pro Tools LE. The setup is outstanding even if the guy putting music into it isn't. Extremely clean results. I use a Behringer v-amp pro connected to it via an spdif cable. The sound is decent although I think I would like to get a PODxt. From the samples I have heard, the tone is pretty stellar.

Right now I'm still using a Delta 1010, but I'm looking into getting a control interface maybe the new Digidesign Digi 003, or Tascam FW-1884. I've been using Nuendo, but will more than likely switch to Pro Tools if I buy a device that comes with the software. As far as recording guitar, sometimes I mic my amps with an Shure SM-57, which is pretty much the standard way, but lately I have gotten the Guitar Rigs 2 setup and have found myself recording DI into it. The reason I like this is because I'm not stuck to the sound I recorded and can change it later, if the mix calls for it. I'm really anxious to try out the new Line 6 Gearbox, it sounds really good also, but does cost quite a bit. I haven't got Amplitube, but I hear it does a great job too. The key thing to remember is that you are basically using the plugin as an amp when recording, it doesn't actually record the sound that comes out of the plugin though, and you'll end up with a clean DI guitar recorded on the track. This way you can change the presets or plugin's if your guitar track just doesn't sit well in the mix.

When mixing I usually end up with a HP filter at 100Hz, and boost in the midrange at various frequencies, to really make the guitar sound good in the mix. One common mistake is to solo any track, and tweak the plugins, or eq until it sounds big and bold. If you do that you'll almost always end up with a muddy mix. Each track has to leave the other sonic space in the mix. Things that sound big soloed will almost always sound bad when the other tracks are introduced. I find myself starting off with the Drums, getting them to sound great, then adding my Vocals because if there is only one thing in the mix you must have sounding great, it's the vocals, most people will make the mistake of waiting until the end of the mix to add vocals, then wonder why you can't get it to sound good in the mix. Next, I will bring in the bass, and tweak it, sometimes I'll use the Ampeg SVX plugin which really sounds great. You have to watch the kick and bass because you want them to each complement each other and not mud up the mix. You can use ducking, or eq them so they fit together without competing for the low end. For example, cut the bass -3db @ 500hz, and boost the kick +3db @ 500Hz. This is only an example and 500Hz might not sound good in your mix, but work until you find the frequency that will work and make each sound great!! Next it's the guitars, which is the fun part, tweak them along with the other tracks until your satisfied. If you have more than one guitar track, make sure you use a HP filter to get rid of all the low end frequencies that won't add to the sound, but will really take up a lot of sonic space in the low ends, and will make the bass and kick mud up.

I could go on and on, but that's basically how I mix my guitar tracks, etc. Oh yeah, and I use various guitars, Les Paul Custom, Fender Strat's, Gibson J-45, etc. when recording. Micing technique goes a long way on acoustics.

The core of my setup:

- Mackie Onyx Satellite

- Line 6 TonePort UX2 (seems redundant, but when using Line6 tones, still useful!)

- Edirol PCR-M50 MIDI keyboard/controller

- KRK Rockit5 nearfield monitors

- Mackie Tracktion 3 Ultimate (including the superb DrumCore)

and a few extras:

- various inexpensive plugins including most of Elevayta's plugins, plus WusikStation 2, and the amazing Revalver MkII for guitar amp sim

- Behringer GDI21

- ART TubeMP StereoV3 (retired by the Onyx which has much better pres)

- Ibanez compressor/sustainer pedal

- Boss flanger

- Boss phaser (1/2 rackmount)

...all that cool (well, for hobbyist-level) gear and I hardly ever record complete songs. I spend a lot of time just mucking around. I guess I have to accept that as part of my personality-- hardly ever get anything done with guitar projects, either. :D

Also available if needed, but on loan to my dad so that he can have a recording setup, too:

- M-Audio Audiophile 2496

- Behringer UB802 mixer

Greg

My interface is the Presonus Firepod into a rackmount PC with an array of 6 harddrives for storage and the OS is running on a 7th drive. Dual LCD monitors so I can spread my work across 2 displays. Playback through a set of Tannoy studio speakers. I am using Cubase SX3, I have Nuendo but havent even tried it yet. I usually mic my cabinet but I have Guitar rig2 that I like also, it has lots of options and you can build whatever rig you want.My studio desk

Nice setups guys!

I have it somewhat easy. My writing partner used to own a recording studio so he mixes everything with a Pro Tools HD setup. Probably a good thing too. In all honesty I could not spend more than a few hours mixing a tune. He will spend 40+ hours on one track. I just do not have the patience for that. How people can spend 2-4 hours eq'ing a snare is beyond me.

pmarlin nice dual monitor setup!

There is something unearthly weird about looking at a picture of two monitors on my monitor. :D

I've whittled my setup down somewhat as I really don't need a load of equipment any more. I would rather work quickly with the minimum of equipment to get ideas out quickly, and pay a studio to do the pro work based on the scratch work.

- Yamaha 01x mLAN digital mixing studio desk

- Various mics

- Toontrack Drumkit From Hell 2

- EZ-drummer with the DFH expansion

- Cakewalk SONAR

- Oodles of metal

... He will spend 40+ hours on one track. I just do not have the patience for that. How people can spend 2-4 hours eq'ing a snare is beyond me.

I'm guilty of this too.. :D

I actually scaled it down sort of, I was using 2 Tascam DM24's. I really only used one, 2 was overkill for me. The Presonus Firepod is just so much simpler. I am going to add another one just for the drums. So I have 2 Tascam DM24's I need to sell now. :D

I've been wanting a controller/interface for better control over the automation, etc., especially after I saw a guys setup that had a Tascam 1884. Motorized faders, 8 xlr inputs, firewire connectivty and not a bad price, although it doesn't have an lcd display like some of the others have. How is the Presonus Firepod working for you? Are the pre's pretty good on it? I've wondered about those for some time, but was really wanting to step up to a controller/interface, instead of just an interface. I just think it would be nice to automate on the fly, although I've gotten so use to controlling everything via software nowdays. Dual screens would be nice, right now I just have one 19" Viewsonic Widescreen LCD. I'm also still using Event PS-8 powered monitors, they are pretty good, but you know how it is with equipment, always wanting more and better.. lol

I really like the Firepod and the pre's are good. The DM24 has the LCD display and its really cool, but for me it was too much and I was learning how to use it as I was using it. So when I would want to record something I would end up spending more time figuring out how to use it than recording. So I went and picked up the presonus and now I just hit record and start playing.

I think i'll go the way of a lot of people, and invest in a couple of Line6 units for guitar and bass, The immediacy of plug and play does help grease the spontaneity somewhat. I hate having to build and configure stuff when i'm itching to thrash one out.

:D

But anyway....! I think adding either a couple of desktop PODs or perhaps if i'm feeling flush a couple of POD XT rackmounts would remove the need for lugging my Trace stack to the recording setup every time.

Does anyone else use Drumkit From Hell/EZ-Drummer in any way shape or form? They're so much cooler when you start routing the virtual mic outputs via individual channel processing....

I think i'll go the way of a lot of people, and invest in a couple of Line6 units for guitar and bass, The immediacy of plug and play does help grease the spontaneity somewhat. I hate having to build and configure stuff when i'm itching to thrash one out.

:D

But anyway....! I think adding either a couple of desktop PODs or perhaps if i'm feeling flush a couple of POD XT rackmounts would remove the need for lugging my Trace stack to the recording setup every time.

Does anyone else use Drumkit From Hell/EZ-Drummer in any way shape or form? They're so much cooler when you start routing the virtual mic outputs via individual channel processing....

GuitarFrenzy - my applause to you for being able to spend that much time on a snare. Personally speaking when I am mixiong vocals I get tired of listening to myself after 10 minutes. No idea how someone can spend hours mxing dry vox!

Prostheta - I have heard great things about DFH. A lot of guys on my site use them. We finally got a real drummer so now I write to a loop. Then I pull the loop and put in a click track and send it to him. Not the most effective way of doing things but when everyone lives in different states, you do what you can.

I would love the PODxt Rack but at $700, that just bothers me. I can spend $2000 on a guitar or even a $1200 on an amp but a $700 rackmount that will be outdated in a few years irks me. At least the guitar and amp will always be "Classic" but effects change so often, I was hesitant about buying it. I opeted for the v-amp pro rack instead. Not bad but the POD's do sound better.

I think that considering the POD as being "obsolete" in a few years is a matter of subjective opinion. Better things might appear, but the POD will still do what it does and if that's what you want it to do then cool! The only thing that irks ME is that in a few years it will have gone down in price radically, and the GAS will try and make me buy the "newer" thingamadoodle that supposedly is the best thing on the cutting edge of modelling tech :-D

Similarly to DFH, a POD can create great results for scratch tracks, but you can quickly re-record these in a studio using real amps and getting a better and more workable sound!

I think that considering the POD as being "obsolete" in a few years is a matter of subjective opinion. Better things might appear, but the POD will still do what it does and if that's what you want it to do then cool! The only thing that irks ME is that in a few years it will have gone down in price radically, and the GAS will try and make me buy the "newer" thingamadoodle that supposedly is the best thing on the cutting edge of modelling tech :-D

Similarly to DFH, a POD can create great results for scratch tracks, but you can quickly re-record these in a studio using real amps and getting a better and more workable sound!

In obsolete I mean that typically companies will build things like the "PODxt2" in order to generate a new revenue stream. POD has already done v2 if I remember correctly. Guitars and amps are pretty static in this area unless you are looking at midi.

So yeah I agree 100% on the price drops!

I only use my computer as a sketch-pad and songwriting tool, and use an antique Cakewalk program and a $100 audio card (the audiophile 2496), but I have a couple of comments:

First, I am a big fan of my PODxt. It sounds decent, and it saves a lot of screwing around with amps and microphones. As far as upgrades and cost is concerned, I bought it several years ago for about $300, and that is still the going rate today. Plus, if you have the USB hooked up, you can download any software upgrades for free from Line6 (although you then have to go through and tweak all of your sounds, which is a bit annoying). If I recall correctly, my last update actually included new amp models and effects. I wouldn't worry to much about them becoming obsolete or going down in price that much. That said, I have a Spider 210 that is now completely obsolete (and damn near worthless)!

Also, I use acid loops for drum tracks. I have been using products from Drums on Demand. They have discs for various styles, and have enough loops in various tempos to make a pretty convincing drum track.

Just my (relatively low-tech and inexperienced) 2 cents.

I have been using these loop CD's and the price is amazing.

http://www.betamonkeymusic.com/index.html

+1. Beta Monkey's stuff sounds very good, and the way they're organized (well, dunno about the earliest of his sets, but starting with Drum Werks IV at least) makes it easy to create organic parts.

Greg

I have been using these loop CD's and the price is amazing.

http://www.betamonkeymusic.com/index.html

That is a good price! I'll have to check them out. How are their fills? My main problem with loop cds has been that there aren't enough fills to make a fully convincing track for my songs. One of the reasons I went with Drums on Demand was that their volume 3 had a lot of single hits and separate tracks for each drum/cymbal, which made it easier for me to cut and paste in order to get a drum track that fit my songs well, rather than just close-enough.

Sorry if that's a hijack!

Vamp2 is more realistic than POD2.0, but PODxt is generally considered to sound better than Vamp2. Of course, tone is entirely subjective. :D

Tone is subjective, immediacy and convenience in getting that lick out of your head, onto your fingers and into your recording setup however, is not! I appreciate the values of the old Tascam four tracks for getting it done there and then, and the beauty of a plug and play setup. Tone comes later when you record it properly :-D

With Tracktion, there's no computer science needed. I've also used Tascam 4-tracks, and it's much more immediate and easy to get ideas down on a computer than on a 4-track. I have a cable that's ready to go... I literally plug in and press record, with all the same benefits of the 4-track, plus the benefits of digital and none of the drawbacks of the 4-track.

Greg