A Bit Of Fun

I've been working on this guitar for the past couple of days, and finished it off today.

He had a highway one strat neck lying about and wanted a tele body for it with a HH pickup arrangement.

476814858_b8a16eeae3.jpg

476814870_600e707ccf.jpg

For build pics see the links below. I'm real happy with the guitar, colour's great and it sounds brilliant. And before anyone cracks any "it's the wrong way round" jokes, he's a lefty! :D

Build 1

Build 2

Build 3

Build 4

Build 5

Build 6

Build 7

Build 8

I converted a guitar to left handed a while back.tuning it was the hardest thing ever.i just could not wrap my mind around it being backwards. :D

<hijack>

A few weeks ago I saw Eric Clapton and Robert Cray. One of EC's guitarists is a lefty who strings his guitar like a righty, so backwards for him. It was convenient for the tech, though, because all he had to do was flip the Strat over and play it Hendrix-style during the sound check. Pretty cool.

</hijack>

Nice looking strato-tele jammy. Would that be surf green?

A few weeks ago I saw Eric Clapton and Robert Cray. One of EC's guitarists is a lefty who strings his guitar like a righty, so backwards for him.

That was Doyle Bramhall II. I saw him on Austin City Limits a while ago and had to figure how he manages with that setup, very well it seems! I guess he just learned on other people's right handed guitars and was used to it by the time he got his own guitar. Its still darn strange to see him play a left-handed body with a right-handed neck..

That is a nice colour! Looks a little desaturated & pastel to be surf green or seafoam green, almost like an 80's Fender custom colour. Really nice work.

Isn't it upsi....oh yeah, sorry :D

So, does Doyle sound different when he plays? I mean for chordy stuff, does it sound like he's playing all upstrokes or isn't it that noticeable?

Whoah, I didn't know Doyle Bramhall II was touring with EC. Cool. He's a heckuva guitarist and a passable vocalist, too.

I had a friend that played right-strung guitars left-handed. Some of the voicings were different, and the strum patterns as well. It gave his playing a unique sound. He emulated "righty" rhythm-- stroking up on the 1 and down on the 2, but it still made for a different sound.

Greg

Wow, now I feel like an idiot because I didn't realize how cool it was to watch Doyle play with EC :D

Heckuva guitarist, his picking technique is also reversed. He probably figured out long ago to simply do upstrokes when most righty's would play a downstroke. Most of the time he braces his hand on the bridge. I figure he sounds a lot like Albert King used to sound like playing reversed too.

Whoah, I didn't know Doyle Bramhall II was touring with EC. Cool. He's a heckuva guitarist and a passable vocalist, too.

I had a friend that played right-strung guitars left-handed. Some of the voicings were different, and the strum patterns as well. It gave his playing a unique sound. He emulated "righty" rhythm-- stroking up on the 1 and down on the 2, but it still made for a different sound.

Greg

DB2 has been touring with Clapton for a few years now. Did you know that Derek Trucks was also on this tour (most of it anyway)? Hoo boy, that was a show. It was almost like a Derek and the Dominos reunion.