From The Beginning

Unfortunately, I had to sell the sawmill a couple years ago. :( I started having bad shoulder problems from operating the clutch lever, and was in danger of tearing a rotator cuff.

I still owed a good deal of money on it and couldn't justify making payments on a machine I couldn't use without injuring myself.

A kiln would be nice, but once you have several stacks of lumber air drying at various stages of dryness, there is always something ready to use.

I still buy logs from time to time and have them sawn up by another local sawyer.

• 6 months later...

Change of plans...

I decided I was not happy about how the top was turning out.

My idea had been to give it a hand carved look with the shallow gouges, which I have seen beautiful examples of in furniture, but it ended up not looking right on the poplar. Maybe I will try it again someday in walnut.

So, off with it!

DSCN6319.JPGDSCN6321.JPG

The body is clamped to a workboard on the pin router here, first using a 1/2" downshear bit around the edges to prevent blowout around some areas of funky grain, then switching to a 1.25" bit to hog out the middle of it, leaving a nice flat surface.

As much as I hate wasting wood and work, I was not satisfied at all about how this was turning out, and it would probably just end up on a shelf forever.

DSCN6326.JPG

Here is what will be the new top, it is actually a board from the barn pictured earlier.

It is beech, about 15" wide, with a considerable bow in the middle.

I will be leaving the bowed/warped shape of this surface as is, and flattening the bottom.

DSCN6327.JPG

To do this, I place it on a flat surface, with a good flat piece of plywood on top, and run screws through the plywood into the corners of the top, with wedges to take up the space at the edges.

Then it gets flipped over, and surfaced much like the body in my previous entry.

DSCN6336.JPG

As you can see, the inside of this board is a mess, riddled with bug holes, including some fairly large galleys packed with dust and bug poo. Not the best gluing surface, so I mixed up some epoxy and spread it over the whole thing, using sawdust to fill in larger voids.

DSCN6337.JPG

Ran the back of the top thru the drum sander, still screwed to the plywood

DSCN6365.JPG

Much better~

DSCN6368.JPG

Now trimmed to about 1/4" oversize, and 3/4" holes drilled in back and top.

I will put oak dowels in these to align the two pieces.

I place them where the strap buttons screw in, so they have something better than poplar endgrain to bite into.

DSCN6372.JPG

Now all glued up and sitting in the vacuum press:

DSCN6375.JPG

that top will look savage with just a load o clear put onto it.

I sometimes use scaffold board for drop tops on tele's. cut real thin & the face just barley cleaned up. Leav most of the dirt & filth & rot & bits of concrete & rusty bits of nails & all sorts still in there. Looks great under a massivly polished clear coat.

this thing is gona look excellent

that top will look savage with just a load o clear put onto it.

Savage salvage.. Sometimes with the grey weathered barnwood like this, I leave it completely unfinished. It is a very cool look. Not sure what I will do with this one yet.

I sometimes use scaffold board for drop tops on tele's. cut real thin & the face just barley cleaned up. Leav most of the dirt & filth & rot & bits of concrete & rusty bits of nails & all sorts still in there. Looks great under a massivly polished clear coat.

I would love to see one of those.

Holy crap....

Crappy holes really...

And as you can imagine, the edges of the board were not much better, so more epoxy, this time tinted brown..

DSCN6404.JPG

And sanded down. You can see in this last pic where glue oozed out through the wormholes in the top while in the vacuum press.

This was another reason for filling the holes on the gluing surface. A little always finds its way through however.

DSCN6401.JPG

• Like 1

Indeed. It must be difficult blending in the cleaning work associated with milling and utilising the rough weathered appearances. One can easily spoil the other I guess. You seem to have it down to an art, maintaining the aged rough look where it is needed and looks best. If I had a hat on, it would be off to you as always orgmorg :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...