Fave Pickup Type

Jon Bell

What is your favourite type of pickup?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i don't think i could have said it better DaveQ, although i seem to have one constant, the higher output the better, cause you can always turn it down a bit or roll back the drive on your amp, but adding drive with the EMG preamp booster or a overdrive pedal before the amp adds more hiss to pickups... :D

single coil (strat) for me!

with a humbucker, you c'ant get that clarity that a single coil has! it sounds so so muddy!

and i hate muddy sound on clean...

but with a single coil you also can get that big sound...just add some efx! and you also can get that muddy sound for blues (but not as bluesy as a humbucker)

so for me SINGLE COIL just RULES!!!!!!!!!

P-90's! nothing beats the anit social howl of em through a non master vol. tube amp!

I put my vote in for Humbuckers, cause thats generally what I like for the majority of stuff I do, however when I want to clean up my sound, I really am of the opinion you cant beat the crisp sound of a single coil. I've played a lot of different guitars, but unfortunately i dont actually -own- guitars with a lot of the combinations I still want to try, like the dimebucker/jazz combo.

My fav humbuckers are ones ive only just discovered for myself recently, the Mastertone SPA (Super Phat Ass) and vHO (Vintage High Output) combo. They are active pickups, and as I understand it they are manufactured here in Australia. Ive been playing a les paul that has a set in it that belongs to a guy im housesitting for, and godamn, i love it :D Ive only had limited experience with EMG's, but these babies go hard! Still dont clean up as well as i'd like, but they have this raw edge to them that i love. Im not one of the people that thinks EMG's sound sterile, but there are people who think these are the missing link between passive and active pickups. Im not quite sure its like that, but I love these a bit more than the sound of EMG's, i think its just cause they are australian B)