Fave Pickup Type

Jon Bell

What is your favourite type of pickup?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

humbuckers just look cooler. Thats why Fender started making Fat Strats. Chrome/Gold covers look the coolest, but unfortunately don't respond to my type of music as well as the open ones.

I also liked the floating pickups for jazz guitars that attach to the end of the fingerboard/neck (ala Epiphone Emperor Regent). A Bartaloni floating, if I can ever afford a nice jazz box.

I'd have to disagree on the EMGs...sorry I know you like them, but it's a freakin black rectangle...how cool can that be? :D haha...oh boy...I can just see the flames lining up after this post.... B)

I will give props to EMG for the anniversary models tho. But that looks like a Gibson humbucker. Hmm... i guess that no votes for EMGs from me.

But at least they are cooler than the dog-eared P-90s and Danalectro lipsticks.

I'd have to disagree on the EMGs...sorry I know you like them, but it's a freakin black rectangle...how cool can that be? :D haha...oh boy...I can just see the flames lining up after this post.... B)

I will give props to EMG for the anniversary models tho. But that looks like a Gibson humbucker. Hmm... i guess that no votes for EMGs from me.

No flaming but are you talking about "sound" or "looks"?

Dave->

I'd have to disagree on the EMGs...sorry I know you like them, but it's a freakin black rectangle...how cool can that be?  :D haha...oh boy...I can just see the flames lining up after this post.... B)

No flaming but are you talking about "sound" or "looks"?

Dave->

i like both :D

tsl, exactly. the more hum, the better. gotta go with my pure strat and say the singlecoils, though i do like the sound of SG's a lot. i'm still a strat dude at heart.

I'm hooked on EMGs. Igot the 81/81 setup in my KH2 and the 81/85 setup in my Les Paul DC. When I make my Explorer I will probably end up doing either 85/85 or I might try the 85/60. I was going to do 2 passives with an EMG in the middle but will probably just keep it simple with the 2 EMGs. :D

I also like that 81/81 chrome anniversary set that was mentioned.

• 4 weeks later...

i put bobbin toppers on my emgs. on my wolfie i have a cream and a black zebra look to maintain a stcok appearance, well sort of anyway.

the chrome 81s are tits though, i wants some chrome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm soooo confused when it comes to selecting pickups.

I love my EMG's (81/85 and 89). They have a bite and growl like no other in my opinion.

I also love the passive with active booster combination - it seems to give a certain "life" to the sound that I really like. I use SD Scremon Demons (medium output) with SD pickup booster circuits or EMG's booster circuit.

I also love the single coil sized HB's. On certain guitars, the single coil seems to look better. Having the ability to get either a HB or SC sound from a SC sized pickup is awesome.

There are times when I think a SC in the neck is perfect and just when I think I've got it figured out, I'll play a guitar with a HB in the neck and think - ya - that's it!

See why I'm so confused?

The guitar that I've been playing the most lately is the tiger with only one pickup in it - EMG-81 with a EMG-VMC control. That combination seems to be the best for me when playing metal'ish music (Vai, Satch, Lynch, ...). Having the Sustainiac doesn't hurt either :D.