Best Way To Cut Pearl Without An Inlay Saw

You really need those tiny, thin fine-toothed blades for manoevering around when cutting inlay meterial. I bought my jeweller's saw at a place in town called "The Rockhound Shop". Basically a place that sells everything for the hobbyist rock collector to the hardcore prospector. They also sell abalone etc. dots and various shapes. If you look thru your local yellow pages you might find some similar place that can sell you a jeweller's saw. And in order to use those particular blades you NEED a jewellers saw where the blades mount with compression clamps. A regular coping etc. saw won't do the trick.

You'll probably be able to find an adjustable one cheaper than Stewmacs (last time i looked it was a fixed frame they sell) but at the end of the day you NEED a peircing saw.......period, it's such a false economy to try anything else. Basically you could quite easily waste $20 worth of Paua or Abalone trying to 'make do' with the wrong tool and your results, chances are, will be poor compared to using the right tool.

Jem.

Sorry, it read (or i read it) like you wanted to use an alternative to a piercing saw.

Just google 'piercing saw' or 'jewellers saw' or 'jewellers supplies' and it should bring something up - hell, you could even try your local Ebay if all else fails.

Jem.

and where I could find them such as at a Home Depot, Lowes, or Rockler type of retail store.

Doubtful any of those would have what you need. A scroll saw won't accept the very fine blades you need.

I bought a good adjustable frame jewelers saw at a local jewelry supply shop for about $15, but there are a number of online supply houses with the same stuff. Google "jewelry supplies".