Flying V's!

i recently got a dean baby v and the output jack is in the most inconvenient place.. the inner side of the v... (just look at the pic)

i was thinking of moving it but i cant decide where. i might make it like a standard dean v's that have the output jack surrounded by a metal plate.. but i have no idea how to do it.

i might move that to the top half so i can tuck the cable under my guitar strap... i might do a strat style output jack...

i dunno. post your pics of your 'v' shaped guitars. i might also refinish it and add a pickguard.

thanks guys--

rock hard :D

untitled-1.jpg

Edited by grungehead

Here's a friend's new Carvin V220CE... output jack on the outside of the lower "V" horn. Not precisely a "flying V" but it may give you an idea.

3_v220front_1.jpg

3_v220back_1.jpg

the thing about that with the ouput jack in that location is you can easily step on the cord and pull it out. thats the only thing i dont like about it.

I'm in the process of building a Rhoads V myself, and I've been grappling with where to put the jack as well. I strictly use right angle cords, so I can wrap the cord inside of my strap with the smallest amount of "cord waste." At the advice of the wiser members on the board, I'm going to move the strap button closer to the centerline, for better balancing. Between the moved strap button and the right angle cord, I'm at a double loss of how to go about my placing my jack. I'm thinking of drilling a small angled channel, like the jack plates on strats, and putting a jack in there so the metal end of the cord will be protected by the body of the guitar. It's a lot of work, but I think it's possible. Even something as simple as the strat-style jack plate would work better for you than the placement on the guitar right now.

I'm in the process of building a Rhoads V myself, and I've been grappling with where to put the jack as well. I strictly use right angle cords, so I can wrap the cord inside of my strap with the smallest amount of "cord waste." At the advice of the wiser members on the board, I'm going to move the strap button closer to the centerline, for better balancing. Between the moved strap button and the right angle cord, I'm at a double loss of how to go about my placing my jack. I'm thinking of drilling a small angled channel, like the jack plates on strats, and putting a jack in there so the metal end of the cord will be protected by the body of the guitar. It's a lot of work, but I think it's possible. Even something as simple as the strat-style jack plate would work better for you than the placement on the guitar right now.

i think i agree with you on the strat style jack. do i just take a big drill bit and angle it and start drilling? i cant trust myself doing it by hand.. it there a machine that does this?

I'd clamp the body in a jig and use a drill press so you can be assured of a straight channel. If you want to do just a Strat jack, there should be a tutorial or something online, but a simple angled bit and sanding would work. If you wanted to do a recess like I'm planning on doing, it'd probably take more work. I'd search for a tutorial myself, it might be the easiest way.

i did a strat style jack. i basically did a hole so the metal piece would fit, then did some eratic drilling and chiseling with a screwdriver (didnt have a chisel of the right size) to get it so the jack (electronic piece) would fit in the hole. it doesnt matter too much aslong as it is all under the metal plate thing. if i did it again i would probably be a bit less barbaric, but it deffinately works.

Here's a friend's new Carvin V220CE... output jack on the outside of the lower "V" horn. Not precisely a "flying V" but it may give you an idea.

3_v220front_1.jpg

3_v220back_1.jpg

the thing about that with the ouput jack in that location is you can easily step on the cord and pull it out. thats the only thing i dont like about it.

that is an amazing finish on that guitar i loved it before when i saw the standard black know i love it even more.