Let's Talk Tuners...

I've got Planet Waves tuners on two of my guitars and I'm quite happy with them. They really shine when combined with a top-loading bridge. I can change a broken string in 10 seconds flat while standing with the guitar in playing position. This helped during setup, too. I can remove the neck, shim it, and reattach it all with the strings locked to the tuners. Aside from the string cutting feature, they're pretty much like any name brand locking tuner: solid and smooth.

The only con I can think of verses normal locking tuners is the fact that the cutting edges could wear out. I doubt this would be a problem on the high strings, but it takes a decent amount of force to cut a low E, and even more to cut a low B.

Anyway, I'm not trying to push Planet Waves tuners. Use what you want. When I first heard of the brand, I figured it would be second-rate Chinese crap. But I decided to try them anyway, and I'm glad I did.

Man, you guys can go on about this topic. :D However, (ahem), I have regular Grovers on my LP (no trem) and they're always in tune. Good luck with all the numerous choices laid out. Now that you're back to square one, :D you may want to consider cost as a way to eliminate some of the choices. B)

Hipshot Trem (floating) with a 13º headstock (3x3 tuner design)

Hipshot Trem (floating) with a scooped Fender-styled headstock (3x3 tuner design)

Not to derail the thread but I wanted to suggest keeping your headstock angle between 10º-11º when using a trem. I have found that anything steeper and you may have tuning stability issues. The increase in downward pressure on the nut will also cause the strings to bind in the nut slots resulting in some strings catching on the way back up to tune and going slightly sharp. Of course this assumes that the nut is properly cut so that there is only one angle over the nut and the slot does not bind on the leading edge or the back edge (no sharp edges for the strings to catch on).

Ok, back on topic:

I like the Shaller and Sperzel locking tuners. I have not needed to try anything else so far. My only complaint with the Sperzels is that the aluminum threads strip out a bit too easily. If you get them from StewMac they will replace them if this happens.

~David

. Brian may have them in his inventory also. Just make sure they're described as such in a catalog. I believe they're the 510 or 512 series. They are expesive, though.

OK: Brian has them!:

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/tuner3x3lock.htm

At first I read that as Brian May have them in his inventory....

Brian May changed the tuners on his original Red Special to the schaller locking tuners, and that ought to tell you something.

I have a set myself and I can say nothing but positive stuff about them, top quality stuff.

He's referring to space between the gears...play. This is why it's bad practice to lower you're pitch when adjusting a string. Tuners will almost always have some backlash. Instead, tune down below the note you're aiming for, then tune back up to the note. This will insure the gears are pushed against once another and there's a maximum amount of force resisting the pull of the string.

He's referring to space between the gears...play. This is why it's bad practice to lower you're pitch when adjusting a string. Tuners will almost always have some backlash. Instead, tune down below the note you're aiming for, then tune back up to the note. This will insure the gears are pushed against once another and there's a maximum amount of force resisting the pull of the string.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I've always done the "tune UP to pitch" thing as a matter of course.