New 8 String

Hi guys,

Been dead here for a while, still reading. Anyway, I am building an 8 string tuned to low F# or E. I have the bridge on order, and the body roughed out. Looking at pickups currently. I love LACE, will their J-bass pickup serve me well? I know the EMG is recognised as the way to go, but EMGs are too dead for me. Will the J-Bass pickup be wide enough?

Is 27" a fair scale length for this considered I'm not going to do a fanned fret system?

2 truss rods or 1?

Thanks guys, hope to keep you updated :D

Mike

Welcome back Mike :D I think an 8 with single coils could be really cool.

It is a tossup whether or not a 5-string bass pickup will cover the string spread of an 8-string guitar, some do and some don't. But most definitely a 6-string bass pickup will do the job. The key here is for the pickup magnets (not just the cover...) to extend out far enough to catch both outermost strings. This is where EMG is nice because you can look up the magnet widths for all their pickups.

You could also look into having some custom pups made by Nordstrand or the like. Or even look up Phil Mailloux here on PG.

Thanks for the replies!

I am thinking that the 45DC is the only way to go, although a little pricey! I might try to get one of the tone controls EMG make for it, that might help, or wire a stompbox into the guitar, lol!

Would a 70 work for the low f# (yes, this is the one a 7th beneath the E of a 6 stringer)? Otherwise I feel the need to use bass strings, and probably drill out the machineheads to accomodate!

Thanks for the replies,

Mike

The Lundgren looks awesome! But its hella pricey!

Can anyone give me a measurement across the 24th fret of an 8 stringer... is it about 79mm? Anyone know where I could find out the "norm" - helps when you decide to make things!

Thanks!

Mike

The specs for my eight-string project are a 55mm nut and a 30" scale. I decided to relieve the string gauge slightly by having a scale halfway between guitar and bass (playing both as I do!).

As for fanned frets, I think it's cool and it looks like you can work a 27-30" scale on the bass side down to something more "guitar-y" on the high strings. Have you considered under-saddle transducers? That's an idea i've been playing with.

Oops, i've let the cat out of the bag. Worms everywhere!

Many thanks for the measurements!!

I have ordered most of the parts:

Black bridge from Hipshot

Black tuners, 4x4 layout - wilkinsons

EMG 45DC

2 truss rods

wooden knobs

black locking strap pins

jack plate

ash wings for the body

wenge laminates between the body and the neck

4" wide maple neck

it is going to be neck through

I haven't quite decided on scale length, probably 27" ish. Not sure on the number of frets, maybe 27.

tilt back headstock, 12/13 degrees.

Thats it for now, just awaiting my stuff :D

Mike

thankyou all for the suggestions and comments!

cheers for the offer of the slotting, but i will manage fine - plus im a UK boy, lol! i see you are in texas!

Have a nice day :D

Mike

Cool! Good to hear :D keep me updated with your progress :D

that burl you have on your profile is daym nice!! at a guess you are a metaller?

today my machineheads, jack socket, knobs, ferrules, strap pins and battery compartments arrived. yes, compartments: 18v B) why the hell not!

I ordered tulip style tuners, I kinda like the look, see below!

Mike

SSC_8251.jpg

they called me insane *muahaahaahaaa*

anyway, here is a rough idea of how she will look. the neck has 30mm to be trimmed off it, it is too wide atm. Waiting for my bridge before I do that though, no more jumpin the gun fo me!

27.25" scale?? not sure yet, and also, any one think of a headstock that would compliment that body. I'm thinking 4x4.

not sure about a tilt or a strat style thing, haven't made my mind up. any ideas?

volutes?

Mike

guitarwoods.jpg