Workbench

While you were all gone on vacation (i.e. The PG forum is down! Oh noes!!!!), my Dad and I designed and built a workbench. I took a few pics along the way. Some of the pics are a little blurry, but not too bad.

Pics038.jpg

Here you can see all the of the wood we bought to build it. The top of the bench is 3/4" Oak plywood and the bottom shelf is 1/2" Blondewood ply. The rest are 2x4s and 2x6s.

Pics044.jpg

The outer frame and the frame for the bottom shelf is pretty much done.

Pics048.jpg

Added some angle braces to level it out.

Pics054.jpg

We added four 2x6s to the top to make a place for the oak ply to lay on. We also finished the frame for the bottom shelf.

Pics056.jpg

Here we are about to screw the top and the frame together.

Pics060.jpg

This is the finished table, with both the top and the shelf attached. She is solid as a rock and I'm very happy with it. I'll probably stain and seal it sometime.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

I'd be ashamed to post pics of the "workbench" I use... actually, I have several surfaces... my table saw table, an old (rickety) desk covered in junk, and a cheaply-built... platform thing that protrudes from shelves. I have to wedge a piece of wood between the platform and the floor to stabilize it. :D

Nice bench! I need to make or buy one myself.

I'm using an old (round) pine dining room table, my table saw table, my benchtop (tabletop?) router table, and the garage floor. Just about anything would be an improvement. :D

There were plans for a decent-looking L-shaped bench in one of the woodworking mags this month, made out of about 8 sheets of MDF. Thinking about knocking that one together.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Nice bench! I need to make or buy one myself.

I'm using an old (round) pine dining room table, my table saw table, my benchtop (tabletop?) router table, and the garage floor. Just about anything would be an improvement. :D

There were plans for a decent-looking L-shaped bench in one of the woodworking mags this month, made out of about 8 sheets of MDF. Thinking about knocking that one together.

Yea, this one cost $129 total, including materials (screws and glue). Not bad, I'd say. The 3/4" oak ply was $42 by itself! But it does look nice.

I mounted a drill press on it a few hours ago, I'll put up a pic or two tomorrow.

CMA

Edit: I forgot to mention the dimensions. It's 36" tall, 69" long, and 37" wide

Edited by CrazyManAndy

• 4 months later...

Okay, Andy, I stole your workbench plan (with a couple modifications...mine's 30" x 90") and just got back with my load of lumber. Headed out to put 'er together now. :D

Thanks for the ideas!

(I put together a SketchUp 3D plan for it too, if anyone's interested; PM me and I'll e-mail it to anyone who wants it.)

workbench.jpg

oops, it appears I forgot to put the diagonal bracing in the model...

Edited by Rick500

Great job on the drawing Rick! I can't wait to see a pic of it when you're done. One thing you might consider doing, that I didn't do, is putting some triangle braces in to add a little extra stability along the length of the table.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/Cra...101/sadfasd.jpg

Not really accurate, but you get the picture. I plan on doing it to mine, I just haven't gotten around to it. Not essential at all, but nice to have, and simple to do. You could probably use scrap pieces to make them.

:D

CMA

Cool. I'll consider the extra bracing. I'm also probably going to put another pair of legs on it in the middle, since it's 7 1/2 feet long.

I got all the pieces cut this evening; gonna put it together tomorrow.

I'm using a piece of 3/4" birch ply for the top.

Did you use construction adhesive to put the top on yours? I considered that, but I think I might screw it down, recess the holes, and peg them. That way I can replace the top pretty easily if/when it gets too ragged.

Have you noticed any issues with not having a solid bed of 2x6s under the top? I'm using four 2x4s for mine since it's not as deep as yours, and I'm thinking I might add three 2x6s (one ripped down by about a half inch) to get a solid bed of 2-by under the plywood.

My original plan was to make the top out of MDF and put a piece of hardboard on top that could be replaced, but it was only about $15 more for the birch ply, and there's no way I'm covering that up with hardboard. In fact, I think I'm going to put a coat of wipe-on poly on it.

We didn't use any adhesive to attach the 3/4" red oak ply to the frame. As you can see from the progress pics, we laid the oak ply on the ground upside down, and then laid the frame upside down on top of it. That allowed us to easily screw the two together from the bottom, rather than having to screw it together from the top, which would've left the screw heads poking out of the ply.

I've not noticed any issues caused by not having a solid base for the ply. Wipe-on poly sounds like I good idea. I need to apply some myself, as I've already scuffed the top up a bit.

CMA

We didn't use any adhesive to attach the 3/4" red oak ply to the frame. As you can see from the progress pics, we laid the oak ply on the ground upside down, and then laid the frame upside down on top of it. That allowed us to easily screw the two together from the bottom, rather than having to screw it together from the top, which would've left the screw heads poking out of the ply.

I've not noticed any issues caused by not having a solid base for the ply. Wipe-on poly sounds like I good idea. I need to apply some myself, as I've already scuffed the top up a bit.

CMA

Ah, that makes sense. Sounds like a plan. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Already thinking about making a second, shorter one for an L-shaped arrangement.

Great looking bench!

We have some like those at the shop but added holes in the 2X6 pieces where the top lays in yours. We use these for some danish side presses which are good for gluing small pieces of wood and stuff.

I might have to make me one like that but smaller for my home works :D

All done except for attaching the birch ply to the base.

I put a couple 2x4s on the floor, put the birch ply down, upside-down, and put the base in place on top of it, but I can't seem to get the top to stay tight against the base as I'm trying to screw it down.

Any tips?

I thought I might try flipping the whole thing right side up and having someone stand or sit on the top as I screw it in from beneath. Nowhere to attach any clamps...

That's odd, I don't recall having that issue. You'd think the weight of the base would give it a good connection. Could you stand on it as you screw it down? Seems like that would ensure a good connection.

If not, you could do as you suggested. Have somebody sit/lay on it from the top while you are under it.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

That's odd, I don't recall having that issue. You'd think the weight of the base would give it a good connection. Couldn't you stand on it as you screw it down? That would ensure a good connection.

If not, you could do as you suggested. Have somebody sit/lay on it from the top while you are under it.

CMA

Hmm... maybe I just didn't pre-drill the holes quite deep enough. That'd probably do it.

I'll regroup and attack it again tomorrow.

I have a few other things that I have table top drill presses and stuff on but this is my main wor station. I do all electronics in a different room with better lighting and less dust!

Edit: the picture is when I first got it set up. It’s now overloaded with junk because I hate cleaning. LOL. I have another set just like this one coming to me when my wife’s dad ummmm, leaves them for me.

100_0304.jpg

Edited by zyonsdream

Mostly finished the bench today:

workbench-1.jpg

Pic was taken before I trimmed the top to size and added the shelf.

Solved my problem with getting a tight fit between the top and the top supports by some creative clamping and having a friend sit on top of it for the places I couldn't clamp. :D

I didn't put the diagonal bracing on the sides, since the back (and one side) will be securely against the walls. Still considering putting a diagonal brace on the back though.

Thanks again, Andy. It'll be great to have a dedicated place to build instead of the old kitchen table I had been using.

[Edit: Would you believe that I used two pounds of screws on this thing? :lol: ]

Edited by Rick500

Tell me you'll put one of those wicked wood vises I see sometimes. I think those things are the bees knees seriously. Although honestly, I don't see how you could add one. That is without cutting the top back to the main frame, where you would mount the vice. Sorry, don't know why I brought that up, I guess I just like those vises. Very nice bench, I bet you'll want to spend more time building now! Cool stuff Rick, it turned out great and best of luck with your new table.

I'll probably eventually build a second one that's a couple feet shorter (in an 'L' configuration with this one) with space for a good vise. For now, this is a huge step up already, and I'll get by with a bunch of clamps for a while. :D

Won't be long before I think about building the second one though... this one only cost about $80.

Very cool! I couldn't imagine having that much clean, flat work area, ahh that would be nice, lol. The L style should really be handy as well. Not bad price wise considering what you'd get charged for a bench like that. I may have to get into the bench idea myself, but that'll be well down the line, especially considering, I really couldn't do any increasing in size, only just a better bench which would be very nice. For now, I'll stay ghetto and keep a big piece of MDF over the surface of scruffy bench top, lol. Definitely, post pics of the second one when you get to it. Best of luck Rick. J

As for the nice big wood vises (I think they have an actual name?), once I saw someone planing a scarf joint perfectly flat with a hand plane I was sold on the concept and since that point I have seen many other uses for it, all of which are great. Being how they attach on the end of the bench and flush, makes them like an extra pair of hands, really handy in my opinion and something I would like to have in the future.

Glad it worked out, the table looks great! Be sure to post pics when you get the second one built. That reminds me, I think I'll get a newer pic of my table as well. Since building it, we made a light for it and installed a drill press on it.

One or two of those vises (I think they're called bench vises, jmrentis) would indeed be the cat's pajamas.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

• 2 months later...

jmrentis - I have one of those vices that you mention. I believe they are just called bench vices, you can also have shoulder-vices which are also very useful.

Here's a pic of mine in action:

2169489490_45b01d1192.jpg

And the bench itself (made from solid beech - mass is an important factor in a bench)

1396910695_2f71f7344c_m.jpg

I really think a good workbench is one of the most important tools for any woodwork and especially guitar building. I use my vice and bench dogs on almost every aspect of the build, I would be completely lost without mine.

Cool. I'm jealous. I'm stuck building on my porch, with little area for a permanent workbench. I miss having one. Those little folding ones just don't cut it.

I'm thinking of attempting to build something like this to get back at least some of the comforts of a real bench.

Cool stuff Byron, very nice. Yes, I think you are right they just call them bench vises, thats how I've seen them listed as well. I can't wait to have some serious space of my own, I'd love to have a nice bench and room for my stuff. I really like that bench you made.

That little bench you linked J seems like a decent idea, much better than working off or saw horses I can imagine, which can be miserable. I have a couple "tables" made up for the saw horses because I cannot route or sand(machine) in the garage really, too much mess. I also just got a table for a router, but its just the top part, which I can use outside easily and still will store very easily. I think it will work out perfect for the time being. I've just been dying for a router table. Let us know how that bench works out J if you decide to rock something like that. Best of luck. J