Project Guitar, stolen info on eBay

Hi Jehle,

ebay wont do anything about this guy, cause they are making money off what he sells.you might be able to sue ebay for helping him sell copyright material and if you have warned them about the situaion then they are just as much responsible

as the that guy. Chances are his profit is long gone so you probably wont get anything but he could get jail time or something like that.

It would be a thought to use a login mask for member and if you are not registered than you cant see any part of the site( I found this site because google showed 1 of the threads as a search result) there for noone like that could steal the hard work of the members in the forum and if it happened again then you would know that it came from within our owm ranks.

I hope you get this guy and I also hope that Brian reads this or Wes and thinks about that login mask thing to help prevent any further abuse of the site

Having viewed the contents of the CD, he took material from serveral different sources. My site is just the beginning. He took my logo tutorial from here, but also stuff from John Tirone's (aka fishbake) site (build a les paul the hard way, use pvc as binding... everything from his site), and lastly there some stuff from a GuitarBuilder.com site. Given all that, it's not a member of this site that is ripping us off. This guy is just looking for any information for free that he can sell as a "training package" on a CD-R.

If anyone wants a copy I could send it to you for free, or provide a private link with the data.

The VeRO program is set up to handle this sort of thing with eBay, and that does work. I shut down many auctions early this year. I have just not shut any more of his auctions down. My thinking is that Kench has burned so many people for all of his theft that he is going to be taken down by a much bigger dog than me. Again, Gal 6:7.

All I need to do is wait. 8)

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stumbled on this thread today...wow Jehle, you are THE MAN and deserve everlasting kudos for all this effort. I hope you come out of this right-side-up financially.

Thanks for the kind words. I need the support. I've spent over a grand in legal fees and have not seen a dime in return.

I do have a plan in the works to recover that. I have a double CD project in the works that will offset those legal fees. Rest assured everything on the CD will be created by me and that I won't have to "borrow" anything from the Internet. But this project is unique...

To my knowledge, it's the first project of its kind so I don't want to spill the beans just yet. I'm looking at a couple of months production to get it all ready. On top of that I have to build another guitar to really finish the whole project.

It's very exciting to think about and to work on.

When it's all done, I'm going to sell it through my site. You can all help me by getting the CD's through me, or by buying it through the eBay auctions that I'll have. That's right: if you can't beat 'em, sell a superior product. :D

Since this dude sells computer hacking info as well, I'd bet that he's gone to hacker forums to compile the info and burn to CD. B)

It would serve the punk right to find the hacker forums that he's stolen info from and point out to them how he's using their knowledge to make a profit off of it without their consent...Let someone else administer a lil justice. :D

That's right: if you can't beat 'em, sell a superior product. 

Well said! :D

The best i can do is make a dummy ebay account, win EVERY auction and then not pay and give him negative feedback :D

Seems like someone did that a while back and got their account suspended. I think someone even made a sock puppet account named "kench_byers". B)

Leaving bad feedback doesn't really stop him. He'll just shut down that user name and move on to another one. He's gone through at least 6 that I know of.

Since this dude sells computer hacking info as well, I'd bet that he's gone to hacker forums to compile the info and burn to CD. 

It would serve the punk right to find the hacker forums that he's stolen info from and point out to them how he's using their knowledge to make a profit off of it without their consent...Let someone else administer a lil justice.

Why didn't I think of that! :D

Anybody got any hacking experience? B)...Jehle is being so vague. You're gonna have to cut us in on the deal first, man. Hook us up :D.

Devon

All your base are belong to us...

http://www.safetyprotection.net ->GONE!

http://www.betterbytes.net -> GONE!

http://www.atlantamarine.com -> No longer designed by Kench

There's nothing left to hack. :D

Oh, but there is still this one.

http://fireplacesbyserenity.com

One thing to note, if you wanna give this guy legal hell, I'd watch out for illegal methods. If we wanna play the good guy, PG shouldn't be linked to illegal activity, like hacking or spam attacks.

That is a very important point. I do not (and never have) intend to do anything illegal to our good friend Kent.

Is it illegal to advertise your wares via electronic mail?

Well, Kench does have email addresses. He has tons of them. Sounds like what you are describing is email bombing. The idea is to flood the email server with so much traffic to a certain mailbox that it overflows. Here's a few, but there's not much point in flooding these. He's on a cable modem given the comcast address.

kench@bellsouth.net

skenchy@bellsouth.net

betterbytes@bellsouth.net

cbts@betterbytes.net

service@betterbytes.net

kench@betterbytes.net

betterbytes@comcast.net

thecbtpros@comcast.net

betterbytes@earthlink.net

planoglady@yahoo.com

What would be more cool would be to replace all of the pictures on http://www.safetyprotection.net and http://fireplacesbyserenity.com with another graphic that reads "all this stuff can be downloaded for free you moron!", or something to that effect. Any L33t hacker should be able to do that.

Not that I'm suggesting you do. :D

I was just told that someone is taking free software from our website at work, burning it to CD and selling it on e-bay. I wonder if it's the same guy.

I told a co-worker about this Kench Byers and he says that it's no different than someone downloading music from Napster & Kazaa. :D I don't agree. I never had any intention of repackaging, selling or taking credit for any songs that were downloaded from Napster or Kazaa. :D I used this material for my own private use. I never used material and called it my own to gain creditability to prove that ripped off material was authentic and original. Kench is stealing information and making a profit. B):D He's total scum that needs to be shut down and retribution given to his 'victims' B)

:D Sorry, had to vent a little.

I was just told that someone is taking free software from our website at work, burning it to CD and selling it on e-bay. I wonder if it's the same guy.

I told a co-worker about this Kench Byers and he says that it's no different than someone downloading music from Napster & Kazaa. :D I don't agree. I never had any intention of repackaging, selling or taking credit for any songs that were downloaded from Napster or Kazaa. :D I used this material for my own private use. I never used material and called it my own to gain creditability to prove that ripped off material was authentic and original. Kench is stealing information and making a profit. B):D He's total scum that needs to be shut down and retribution given to his 'victims' B)

:D Sorry, had to vent a little.

That's right. Spot on.

It's one thing to spread MP3's all over the net, but to bundle a bunch of files and sell it as "your work" is flat out wrong.

It would be no different than if you were to take credit for what your coworker does, and then get a raise and promotion out of it.

Hi guys, i've read some of the pages (have to admit not all 20 but i'm at work so can't surf for too long!) So i don't know al the suggestions that have been made but i will make this one and you can correct me if you've thought of it.

Why doesn't someone set up an auction for the same stuff eg plans and things selling them with any reserve. Then plaster all over the auction this guys name - betterbytes etc and his auctions and the fact that it's the same stuff but he's selling it and you're giving it away?!?! oh and don't forget projectguitar.com and the other sites he's ripping off.

I don't know if you have to pay ebay for an auction or if you can withdraw it before the end or what but its just an idea.

B):D

Hi guys, i've read some of the pages (have to admit not all 20 but i'm at work so can't surf for too long!) So i don't know al the suggestions that have been made but i will make this one and you can correct me if you've thought of it.

Why doesn't someone set up an auction for the same stuff eg plans and things selling them with any reserve. Then plaster all over the auction this guys name - betterbytes etc and his auctions and the fact that it's the same stuff but he's selling it and you're giving it away?!?! oh and don't forget projectguitar.com and the other sites he's ripping off.

I don't know if you have to pay ebay for an auction or if you can withdraw it before the end or what but its just an idea.

B):D

You do have to pay to place auctions on eBay. It's not prohibitive, but it's not cheap either. Setting reserves is fairly expensive too. I also think it's against the rules to slam another seller directly in an auction.

I've thought about having a group of us here prepare something for a CD on material that's not available on the internet already. But, it would defeat the purpose of what Project Guitar is all about. Information sharing and helping each other out. And where would the money go? I'm open for suggestions about what we could all do, but there's too many issues for me to figure out.

As for selling something of my own, I'm working on that. I've got a LOT of work to do before it's ready to sell. Sorry to be so secretive about what it is, but to my knowledge this has never been done before and I don't want to tip my hand just yet. It'll be cool though.

When my project is all done and ready, I'm going to sell through eBay, through my website, through my newsletter, and through this and other forums that I've been a known member of for years. I just want to sell enough to get back what I've lost in legal fees. I'm still working on the right verbage to say that without sounding like a beggar too.

Wish me luck.

just read all the 20 pages etc.... i would like to help you out man, (Jehle) that is, I cant afford much but PM me and Address and Ill mail you a check for a small amount of money to help you some. It wont be much but maybe it will buy you and your wife a nice dinner or something. To take your mind off your troubles for an evening, or could cover the cost of a book of stamps or 2 as Im sure you went through quite a few so far. Anyhow, just PM me with an address and Ill send you a little something. I want too. I know court costs just plain suck and it blows because you shouldnt have even had to screw with it in the first place.

peace

Jeremy