For Your First Build Did You Have A Guitar For Reference ?

alysum

Did you have a guitar already for reference ?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For my first build I'm undecided whether to take my guitar with me on the plane to where I will build my first guitar overseas. Obviously it could be too much to carry 2 guitars when I return !

The guitars will both be similar but different shape, bolt on neck vs set neck but it can always be useful can't it to know the pickup, bridge placements, body thickness etc... what do you think ?

Edited by alysum

I started out building my first one as a modified SG (body shape was a little different; had a longer bass side horn, etc.).

As I went through that build, I decided it would really be beneficial to have a "model" to reference, so I stopped the SG build and started building a Strat type guitar (I have a Carvin Bolt for reference). It may not be the same for everyone, but it really helped me a lot.

Of course, you could always find a detailed CAD plan and print it out life size, and have all the same reference points. I have a full-scale drawing of my Strat build, but it was still nice to have the supplemental guidance of an actual guitar to look at as I went along.

I built my first guitar using a full size set of plans for a '59 Les Paul, Melvin Hiscock's "Build Your Own Electric Guitar," and all of the hardware that would be on the guitar. I did own a strat, but that was of no use as none of the measurements from that were relevant to the LP build. The whole thing went well; cosmetically it wasn't perfect but it felt and played great.

I would bring it to play, mainly. I took my Gibson acoustic/electric with me to Hawaii 4 or 5 years ago. Made them put fragile stickers on the hardcase and they walked it on and off the plane by hand. No damage and everything went well. It even sounded sweeter in Hawaii. Probably wasn't the best idea given all the humidty, but there were no problems.

If you're buying the neck, there isn't all that much that another guitar can do for you. Just measure the thickness, waist, and length before you go. Bridge and pickup placement is based on your neck pocket and attachment, so those cannot be referenced really. There are a few other things that could be helpful, like body contours and such. So, its up to you really, you can do everything without no problem, but there might be a couple things where having a reference might help. So, I think as long as your guitar will make it back and forth with no problems, why not bring it. Best of luck to you and have a safe trip. Will you have internet access over there? If so keep us posted on how everything is going. J

Your flying overseas just to build a guitar body? :D

haha I'm going for holidays at my folks home and dad has a workshop, he's a lute maker :D

sure I will start a topic when I start ! still have some issues to resolve; i.e p.u poitios...

Edited by alysum

dam ur going to france or somthing aye??

in the summer must beat the hell out of Aus atm with this winter.....i almost drown and today a trains roof got ripped off from the wind haha

correct going to south france :D how did you guess lol

just hoping it wont be too hot !

think I will not take my guitar and just take tons of photos for the carving reference and measure things :D

my first build was a two by four guitar(remember that thing) in 1976 lol what a piece of crap that thing was.

What did you use as a reference, a stop sign post? :D jk

Edited by jmrentis

I always build off of templates. I first design the guitar on the computer and then transfer it to paper. I'll cut out the stencil and then transfer it to the material I use to make the hard templates from. You could do this and just take the templates. That would be a lot less to carry back.

Some times I just start drawing on the template board and use what I come up with that way.