Plasti-kote. What Type Of Paint?

Thanks guys.

Who would have thought that there are so many types of paint? I seem to have a lot to learn. Better I do it now than find out after painting my guitar and the whole thing has turned into an expensive mess!

Should I buy a respirator to work with acrylic paint?

The local Halfords is next door to B&Q! Handy.

What type of paint are the Halford ones then? I assume they have compatable primer and clear top coat (what exactly should I be calling the clear 'laquer'/top coat?)

How long does it take for a coat af paint/top coat from the Halfords range to dry?

I suddenly feel like I'm asking too many questions! I'll stop now.

Use only automotive lacquers in spray cans. They are harder, quick drying and better quality than enamels.

I used a metallic enamel to paint my first electric and every now and then it would spit and leave dark blobs.

They are still really only a second rate finish and I just wouldn't use spray cans for a guitar now after experience using lacquers with a compressor and spray gun.

I'm not 100% on the type of paint, probably acrylic based but yes, they'll have compatible primer & laquer. If you're feeling brave they also stock a range of pearlescent & metallic finishes.

You'll find that they have a much better range & you can match the colour to any car that you might have seen.

Yep, most of what 'accessory' shops sell will nowadays will be acrylic. There's lots of tut's on using 'rattle cans' on here - READ THEM ! As for length of time to dry, if it still smells of thinner when you sniff it, it ain't ready yet - it will all depend on how much you chuck on there at any one time and to a lesser degree what the general conditions are in the area where it's drying.

Jem

also worth pointing out that it is very tempting to keep adding coats to the guitars when it feels dry . . . but dont. If you do more 3-4 coats a day it will just make it take an extra long time to harden off properly.

I did a few with halfords paint when i was starting out and they turned out ok but i really piled the suff on and they stayed soft for quiet a while

Thanks for the link biliousfrog, I'll keep them in mind.

I considered doing the guitar in flip but decided to keep that idea for another day. The guitar I've got to play with is an old superstrat type thing and I thought that flip would be more effective on something like a les paul because of the curves. I am still very tempted though! There's a guy on ebay that sells it in cans.