"broken" Tuner? Strange Problem..

:D

Hey guys, it's me.. again.

I've bought a brand new Epiphone Les Paul (Zakk wylde model)

and MAN does it scream. i would highly suggest it.

BUT. i don't know if this is my fault or what.. but it was all great and i was having a great time with my new axe until i went to change the stock strings. I got about 2 turns into putting the new low E on when the tuner got very stiff and grindy, and the tuning post refused to move afterwards, even when turning the key like a madman..

so, I then noticed that the tuning "post" can just pull out even if just turning the guitar at a slight angle, but on all the other strings they're stuck in there firmly. i've tried everything, screwing it back in, etc. it looks like it scres onto a little post in there but i can't tell. sometimes if i place it in there just right and turn the key, it turns a few millimeters, but it's so loose it just pops out again or stops turning after just a turn or so. is this broken, or do i just need to put it back together in some way i can't figure out? :D

by the way they're grover rotomatics if it helps

thanks in advance

Is the tuner button slipping on the shaft? Sorry if this sounds like an obvious thing, but when obvious things are overlooked you tend to blame crazy stuff instead, like Gremlins™ or solar winds. This happened on my Washburn acoustic when I changed to ebony buttons from stock, and the metal insert joining the button to the shaft started slipping.

Grovers are lifetime guaranteed so get it replaced at the shop you bought it and don't settle for anything less. I have Grover Rotomatics on my latest build and haven't had problems but do notice the tuners have a lot of play (backlash) in them.

Edited by Acousticraft

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem on my acoustic. The gears werent exact enough, so whenever i tuned, the head would chew the gear on the shaft a little. Eventually it just became impossible to tune 2 of the strings. I ended up just getting a new set, for only $17, and they work fine. It was a little nicer to figure out on the acoustic though, due to the lack of covers on the gears.